"Hay Balls" and Pergolide

Lynn

For those still struggling to feed their horses pergolide I just wanted to update from a previous post where everyone was so helpful with their suggestions for my finnicky boy -  that "hay balls" have done the trick with Relevante. He is now taking his meds like a champ with no problems of any sort. I'm almost afraid to say this out loud in case he hears me. Apparently hay is a higher value food for him then anything else. Our caregiver takes the pergolide capsule, wads it up in some hay to make a "ball" and hand feeds it to him. Of course it has to be fed before anything else. But it's working out great and it's cheap compared to the kagillion other things I've tried. Lord - please let this last for a while.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Sherry Hite

I also use hay to get Pepper to take her pergolide. I slip the capsule in the side of her mouth between her cheek and gum and offer her a hand full of unsoaked hay.  I soak all her hay so she is so focused on the special hay that she usually doesn’t even consider that I put something in her mouth.  She happily chews it all down.   I have tried many other tricks/treats and they all have failed in a very short period of time.  She refused to take any treats for months because she associated them with the taste of the pergolide.    I have been doing this for over a year and she has never refused the hay.
--
Sherry & Pepper, August 2015, No. Calif

Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Pepper

Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=5798  .

Lynn

Good to know Sherry!!!
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Trisha DePietro

running down right now to try this!!!! Thanks for sharing it!
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Lynn

Let us know if it worked! Fingers crossed.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio