Invokana urine trsting

TERRI JENNINGS

For the first time since we began Invokana both Finn and Elliott’s glucose readings on the urine strips were not very high. I read somewhere (can’t remember where) that psyllium can reduce glucose readings. Is this a possibility?  I just started their 7 days of psyllium. I was initially wondering if they missed a dose of meds, the meds were problematic or if my urine strips had been affected by the cold weather. I’ve ordered new strips just in case.

Thanks,
--
Terri Jennings with Teeny, Finn and Elliott
Arcata, CA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

 Hi Terri,

Strips should be kept at room temperature but the most likely thing going on here is psyllium interfering with medication absorption.  To avoid this, give the Invokana 2 hours before the psyllium or at least 2 hours after. The further apart they are, the better.

TERRI JENNINGS

Thank you Dr. Kellon.

Invokana was given at 8:00 AM and psyllium at 5:30 PM.

I’m guessing my feed room temperature is too cold.