ivermectin vs mixi

LJ Friedman

This article was in horse.com today. I’m curious to know why we use ivermectin monthly if the small strongyles are all the major problem and Ivermectin doesn’t kill them? Or do we differ in what this article states?
-- Cyathostomins, or small strongyles, are the most pervasive internal parasites of horses and the primary targets of adult deworming programs.

recently performed a study to assess horses’ inflammatory response to deworming. “We were especially keen on evaluating the difference between a product that kills those pesky encysted larvae (moxidectin) and a product that does not (ivermectin),” Steuer said. She presented their findings at the 2020 American Association of Equine Practitioners’ virtual convention.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

It's talking about the encysted forms. Ivermectin doesn't kill those.

LJ Friedman

Thanks for the reply. I understand that. My question is why were using ivermectin  if it doesn’t kill those and its the major problem?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If you do monthly ivermectin you won't have encysted forms.

LJ Friedman

thank you for the reply and thank you for setting things straight with my worming knowledge