New Triple Crown Senior Gold


 

Has anyone tested the new New Triple Crown Senior Gold yet?

--
Cari Johnson
San Diego, CA
2019
Rio's Case History
Rio's Case Photos


Lorna Cane
 


Here's the link
https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/products/senior-gold/


--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002
Check out FAQ : https://www.ecirhorse.org/FAQ.php


Sherry Morse
 

Hi Cari,

Considering they're reporting a minimum fat of 12.5% it's well over the recommended levels for an IR/PPID horse.  If I were going to go for one of their senior feeds I'd err on the side of the regular Senior, but only if I knew I had a horse that wasn't prone to laminitis.




 

II was curious about the starch/ sugar etc.... I know the websites say the NSC it is 11.4, but I know it often tests much different than what they report.

--
Cari Johnson
San Diego, CA
2019
Rio's Case History
Rio's Case Photos


 

Hi, Cari.
There's fine print at the bottom of the NSC chart page that explains why Triple Crown feeds can test with higher ESC+Starch than shown on the chart.

First, recall that ECIR evaluates appropriate carbohydrates as ESC+Starch, not NSC. You can search Messages for many explanations why NSC is not the critical value for our horses with EMS, such as https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/258553 and the thread in which it is embedded.

Second, the values shown on the chart are estimates, not guaranteed analyses. 

Third, this disclaimer covers variation:
"The following coefficients of variation (cv) can be associated with the carbohydrate analyses. These should reasonably account for both sampling and analytical variation, though as you know, poor sampling can lead to much larger variation. The coefficients of variation (cv) for starch is 10%, WSC is 15% and ESC is 15%. For example, a feed with a WSC value of 10% should be expected to range from 8.5 – 11.5% and a WSC value of 20% to range from 17 – 23%. In addition, there are variables on ingredients between suppliers that could be as much as an additional 5% to 10% per ingredient."
By my simple math,  ESC can be as high as 6.56% and starch as high as 3.96%, for a total of 10.52%. 

Fourth, we don't know if the listed percentages on the chart are as Dry Matter (equalizing for moisture content at zero) instead of As Fed, meaning values for what you feed out of the bag. If the percentages are as Dry Matter, what we feed out of the bag could be even higher in ESC+Starch than 10.52%.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder                
Cayuse Photos                Diamond Photos


Sherry Morse
 

Triple Crown also provides an estimate of WSC, ESC, Starch, and NSC values for all their feeds in a chart that's updated periodically - the latest version is here: https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/NSC-page_web_041320.pdf  but as Cass noted you do need to read the fine print. 

At the bottom of that page it's noted: *Estimated values determined by Equi-Analytical, Ithaca, NY. Equi-Analytical makes no claims to the accuracy of its data. Link: http://equi-analytical.com/common-feed-profile

If they are actually using the common feed profiles to create the estimates according to Equi-Analytical those are all done on a Dry Matter basis.  I don't think we've ever seen a test on the regular Senior (one of the more recent is here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9c%20Analyses%20of%20Various%20Feeds/Triple%20Crown%20Products/Triple%20Crown%20Senior%202018-02-15.pdf) that's come back as low as what Triple Crown has listed. 




 

Thank you ladies! Very helpful. Guess I should have it tested to see for sure. =)

--
Cari Johnson
San Diego, CA
2019
Rio's Case History
Rio's Case Photos