End of Year Message

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Dear ECIR Group Members,

As I write this, with 12,725 members, we are the largest group of any kind on groups.io. The next largest is 6,443 members. We were also the largest equine group on Yahoo.

Our longevity is also unprecedented – over two decades and going strong.

How is this possible? Our incredible and dedicated support team holding this together and keeping order is key to the group's success, but what drives all of us to do it?

Hint: It isn't fame or fortune!

It's a given that each of us and all of our members love horses. The true horse lover also has a deep dedication that is unique. We are in awe of their power, majesty, and beauty and at the same time a recognition of our stewardship makes us fiercely protective. There is nothing worse than an animal this noble, beautiful, and full of life, being struck down by a painful and debilitating disease.

Many owners come here in panic, no obvious pathway out in front of them, concentrating understandably on relieving pain. With our focus on science, we have been accused of not caring about the pain of horse and owner when nothing could be further from the truth. The only way to stop the suffering is to get to the root cause and remove it.

Do you remember those old credit card commercials that run through a bunch of things with high-end
price tags, and end with a moment that's "priceless"? That is how I feel every time a new member comes here frazzled (or wired!), and strung out after being told their horse, pony, donk, or mule should be euthanized, and later tells us about the light coming back in their eyes, those first voluntary steps out of a stall, the first spontaneous trot, buck, or canter, when the feet start to concave, etc.

That's why we do it, and why we will continue to work to find ever better ways to serve the horses.

As we finish this year-end campaign we are $3,000 short of our goal for this December campaign.

If you are in a position to help, and are willing to make a donation to the ECIR Group, please go to our How To Help page. https://bit.ly/2J5xhKo

I thank each of you who has helped the ECIR Group find the way forward by providing precious individual information, attendance at conferences, spreading the word to those who may benefit from interaction with ECIR, and your generous donations.

Nancy Kitchen

I tried to donate but got an error - I'll see if I can resolve it with them tomorrow
thanks

Nancy Kitchen

[...]

Smoke and Tucky
November 2018, Southeast, MA

Smoke Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Smoke
Smoke Photo Album:    https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=94122
Tucky Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Tuck
Tucky Photo Album:

Bobbie Day

Dr. K and admins
And  members I just want to say (again) how grateful I am for the knowledge the support and the friendships that have came from this group. I have no doubt my little girl would be gone if not for everyone here.
I am so grateful for the courses Dr.Kellon, who knows how long they’ll be in my head but I’m not going to give up trying to learn. Every time I read I’m in awe of the wealth of information you possess.
Thank you and Merry Christmas everyone.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

Sharon Bice

I hope you got my donation and appreciate your groups help just recently - Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
Sharon Bice & Tailight in New Mexico

Vice President, Spay-Neuter Coalition of New Mexico, www.spayneuternm.org

On Dec 21, 2020, at 2:14 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

[...]

December 2020    Sandia Park, New Mexico

Taillight's Case History:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Taillight%20Case%20History

Taillight's Photo Album:

Geertje

Done

[...]

Geertje B, Netherlands

Shera Felde

I am so grateful to have this forum for support and information. Laminitis can be very lonely and extremely scary.
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Mel V

I attempted to donate, but it does not look like it worked.

I will try again from my computer.

That said, I do think that this group regularly advocates  torturous treatment  of these poor horses, particularly the elderly. Many on here appear to believe the ends justify the means, and I don't. And that's ok, we don't all have to be the same.

I do support the scientific approach and keep Bali's case history updated. I also work with my vets and our goal is functional soundness. I will euthanize her if she ever has a severe founder. My goal is to keep her laminitis free, within a reasonable medication budget.  Her ACTH was good on .5mg Prascend when I checked it before fall, I probably need to add that to her case study. The test is $150 each time, so I won't do that monthly.  I do need to get this year's hay analyzed as all my hay suppliers sold everything before they tested.

I also made a mistake and let her have one day of a winter field on Christmas, thinking it was grazed down enough, luckily I realized and only had a couple of days of elevated pulses, and a very hard crest.  I am donating because I come here to get the firm reminder to not be stupid again, keep her in the dry lots. I do need to figure out a plugged muzzle to let her run and buck for an hour or two.
--
Mel & Bali
Joined ECIR 2/23/2020

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 05:25 PM, Mel V wrote:
I do think that this group regularly advocates  torturous treatment  of these poor horses, particularly the elderly. Many on here appear to believe the ends justify the means, and I don't.
Could you please elaborate on what you mean by these statements?

Nancy C

Edited

Hi Mel

I searched on Mightycause for your first and last name and email, and found no donation.

Thank you for including the ECIR Group in your yearly support.

Please let me know if you continue to have a problem. PM me at threecatfarm "at" cyberpine "dot" net.

I am also anxious to hear your response to Dr Kellon's question.

This is our goal too "My goal is to keep her laminitis free, within a reasonable medication budget."
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Ann Conn

Mel V has decided when he will euthanize his mare.
One thing I have read here repeatedly is to listen to your horse, you will see when they are ready to give up "or not ". If listening to your horse, paying attention to your horse, is torture ( as Mel states ECIR advocates), I believe his intention is to murder his mare without any regard for her preferences, her feelings, or her life.
Ann and Azeem
Oct. 2016

Kirsten Rasmussen

"Torture" and "murder" are inflammatory words and neither are appropriate in this forum, in my opinion.  I think we can agree that we are all here because we are doing what we think is best for our horse.  Every person and every horse's situation is different.  Every one of us has good intentions, otherwise we would not be here, and it's not up to any one of us to pass judgement on what another person thinks is best for their horse, their situation, and their capabilities.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History