Obtaining Prascend in Canada

Robin

A friend of mine in Ontario owns a horse that she bought from me about 11 years ago and he has just been diagnosed with PPID. He was just started on Prascend by the vet at a price of $3.25 per 1mg pill. This woman's husband was just diagnosed with a serious malignancy and is undergoing treatment and their income has taken a hit. Here in the US, I get my prascend for Magnus through my vet's online pharmacy and order the 160 count box when they run either $25 or $40 off an order and I have been getting a further discount by rebates directly from Boehringer-Ingelheim. I want to help my friend financially with the cost of the prascend for my former horse but I also want her to be able to get the best deal financially as I do that. Do any Canadians have advice about how they obtain Prascend (from online pharmacies from their vet, from online pharmacies with a prescription, directly from the vet?) and any special offers/discounts they have been able to access? Thanks in advance for any help with this rather unfortunate situation.
--
Robin
Joined May 21, 2018

Lorna Cane

Hi Robin,

The best way to save money, and not disadvantage the horse, is to use compounded pergolide.
Many of us have done that for many years,some of us dosing a number of horses, and needing mg doses into the teens.
In our Files there is a Canadian Sources document,which gives details about Island Pharmacy,in B.C.
Although I'm in Ontario,I purchased from Island( ask for Kathryn) fpr many years.The service is wonderful,shipping was no longer than 3 days,and they test their product.
Read more here.....
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9d%20Country%20Specific%20Information/Canada
Scroll down to Pergolide Sources.

Hope this will help your friend. She has a lot on her plate.

Others will speak up about compounding pharmacies,which they have found reliable.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Robin

The vet wants to use Prascend to start, (I am assuming because they feel the dosing is more standardized and reliable) and because she is right in the middle of these cancer treatments with her husband that require a total 6 hour time frame 5 days a week, I don't think she is up to doing a lot of research/phone calls/bargaining with the vet,  etc. While I realize that the compounded pergolide is more economical and some people feel their horses have done better on it, I just want to help her get started with the Prascend so the horse gets on treatment and then after awhile, the husband's intensive cancer treatments will be over at least in the short term and the compounded pergolide may be a better option.
--
Robin
Joined May 21, 2018
Location: Ocala, Florida
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Robin%20and%20Magnus

Rhonda Turley

I purchase Prascend directly from my vet.  I buy 60 pills for $143 plus tax.  I have heard of costs for this going over $200 for the same amount. Would love a cheaper source.

--
Rhonda Turley
Brampton, Ontario

Lorna Cane

Hi Rhonda,

In our Files there is a Canadian Sources document,which gives details about compounded pergolide, from Island Pharmacy,in B.C.
Although I'm in Ontario, too, I purchased from Island ( ask for Kathryn) fpr many years. Six  of my boys were PPID/IR. The service is wonderful,shipping was no longer than 3 days,and they test their product.
Read more here.....
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9d%20Country%20Specific%20Information/Canada
Scroll down to Pergolide Sources.
--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Kirsten Rasmussen

Thanks for asking this, Robin, it is an important question for many Canadians.  I would love to hear if there are cheaper sources of Prascend in Canada than buying directly via a vet.  Would it also be available from any pharmacy, or only those specializing in animal meds?

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Sherry Morse

Hi Kirsten,

Obviously I can't speak for Canada but here in the US some vets won't even write scripts for other sources to get Prascend (like Valley Vet, Jeffers or other mail order places) that are cheaper than the pharmacy they've contracted with.  I don't think a regular - human - pharmacy could fill a prescription for Prascend here at least.

Rhonda Turley

I phoned the address listed in BC, Pharmasave and spoke with the pharmacist.  He told me he does not do peroglide or Prascend.  I have phoned local compounding pharmacies in Toronto but they do not do peroglide or Prascend.  I found a compounding pharmacy in Guelph, Ontario that would do compounding of peroglide but his price was more expensive than to buy from my vet!

--
Rhonda Turley
Brampton, Ontario

Lorna Cane

Rhonda,Island Pharmacy is the one many of us have used.

Partial info from our Files....

*ISLAND PHARMACY, Shawnigan Lake, B.C., Email Kathryn : shawnigangirl@...
TOLL FREE: 1-877-743-6944.
Ask for Kathryn

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Bonnie

Edited

Hello Rhonda, try Island Pharmacy. I have bought from them for 10 years.
Here's the online link -  https://www.guardian-ida-pharmacies.ca/en/british-columbia/shawnigan-lake/island-pharmacy-7-7015938

--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Robin

I used to get mine from Valley Vet and never had a problem getting my vet to send in a script but when his practice started contracting with covetrus, I switched over to them because they periodically give a $25 or $40 discount code on your order which makes it cheaper than Valley Vet. I think the compounded pergolide may be better for my friend in the long run, but right now I just want to try and find her the best deal that she can access. There is an online pharmacy in BC that has the 60 count box for $125 but that’s the only place I was able to find. Also in the US, if there is a legitimate veterinarian-client relationship and the animal requires a medication, the veterinarian has to provide a prescription if requested by the client and cannot force the client to buy the medication from them or their contracted pharmacy. That’s not saying some vets don’t put pressure on people to buy from them.
--
Robin
Joined May 21, 2018
Location: Ocala,Florida
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Robin%20and%20Magnus

Bobbie Day

That’s better than what I get it for here, I pay 156 from valley vet and that’s about forty dollars cheaper than my vet.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

Robin

I buy the 160 count box for $345 from Covetrus when they have the $40 discount that brings it down to $305 and Boehringer-Ingelheim has had a $30 rebate on that size that you can register for online and you get a check or debit card in a few weeks from them. That promotion is going on until February.
--
Robin
Joined May 21, 2018

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

In the US, laws regarding vets writing a prescription on request vary by state:

https://www.avma.org/advocacy/state-local-issues/veterinary-prescription-orders

Kandace Krause

I have purchase from Petmeds.ca at about $2.45 per day included everything, including shipping.  slow at this time of year, due to volume but somewhat less than my vet.  I contacted a local compunding pharmacy that advertised doing animal scripts, but they couldn't or wouldn't do Levothyroxine.  I have not asked them about Pergolide.  In my small town there are two pharmacy's advertising the service.  Takes no time to find out if you have the script to send or show them.
--
Kandace K Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Robin

Thanks, that's better than $3.25 a pill her vet is charging her.