Amino Acids

suzy zarek

Which amino acids can trigger an insulin response?
--
Suzy. Nebraska. 2019
Case history https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/suzy%20and%20%20thor

suzy zarek

DR. Kellon??
--
Suzy. Nebraska. 2019
Case history https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/suzy%20and%20%20thor

Nancy C

Hi Suzy

Not Dr Kellon but here are a couple of links to archived messages that may help. Basically the totally picture is not clear but there are a few studies that have peaked interest.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/223245
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/117736
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/258162
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/251493
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/250219

The key is to know what you are feeding and why.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

suzy zarek

Thank you Nancy C.

I find it very difficult to know what to feed and why. I read all the post and just get more confused.

It doesn’t seen like there are any answers. Honestly it seems to me the best medicine for EMS/IR is exercise.

I asked about amino acid because I feed Equinety daily. I stopped feeding it for 9 months and Thor lost a great amount of muscle. I started feeding it again and he is looking much better. I don’t see any difference in his comfort level either way.

Thank you again for the reply and for everything you and this group is doing to help ECIR.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Suzy. Nebraska. 2019
Case history https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/suzy%20and%20%20thor

Nancy C

Edited

Hi Suzy

Well, happily, I'm here to tell you there are some answers. The basis here is a forage based diet and to understand what you are feeding through testing the hay.  I think you have done that -- tested your hay.

Once the profile of the hay is known, it should be balanced to address the excess and deficiencies it has.  This would include knowing calorie and protein content, what may be needed to balance the major minerals -- Calcium, magnesium and phosphorous -- and the trace minerals -- iron, copper, zinc and manganese.  Many of our older horses need extra lysine.

You need to add the Essential Fatty Acids.  That is where flax comes in. Vitamin E and salt are also needed.

Equinety has been discussed here a few times.  It does not have large amounts of amino acids and so would likely not cause insulin issues. It is also very expensive.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/239903
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/240733

This thread may be particularly helpful
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/topic/25172207#225928

Without more info it's hard to pinpoint what may have happened with your weight or muscle loss. I don't doubt you saw what you saw, but  personally I would be looking at other reasons for improvement or lack thereof.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Suzy,

You are absolutely right that the best treatment for EMS is work assuming the horse is not laminitic.

To answer your original question, there is growing evidence that high protein meals cause insulin release even when the glucose response to those meals is not increased. There is insufficient information to identify specific amino acids at this point.

I agree with Nancy that whatever is behind your horse's loss then improved muscle it is not Equinety. For example, it has less lysine per dose than a pound of  typical 10% grass hay and  only 4% of the  daily requirement of a 500 kg horse in light work.

suzy zarek

suzy zarek

Thank you Nancy and Dr Kellon. I have signed up for the NCR plus course. I would like to have someone balance my hay in the mean time.
I have uploaded new hay analysiis for the hay I am feeding this year but wondering if it possible to add in the supplements I have giving to see if they are helping at all.
--
Suzy. Nebraska. 2019
Case history https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/suzy%20and%20%20thor

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Suzy,

When you sign up for the course you also get a free balancing to hold you over so send all your information to my e-mail.