jesse foot sore. equiciser

LJ Friedman

--

I had the vet out to look at jesses feet and the farrier was here as well for a 6 week trim .Jesse is reactive in both front feet but not active laminitis. The thought is that all the extra work is getting him wearing down his feet. Farrier said his right front that there’s never been anything to trim  because he’s always wearing it down from walking around, etc ie increased movement at new barn So I’m going to use the clouds while he’s on  the exerciser , at the walk only  , after a day or 2, and try and get some hoof  to regrow before i consider a trot regimen to reduce the insulin . I’m going to stop the Prevacox  gradually, and restart jiagoulan because I think jesse needs the foot growth. I did send some pictures to his case history file.   The farrier thought he could use shoes immediately. vet thought he wouldnt tolerate the nails.   farrier didnt agree.  i took no video of Jesse trotting very nicely   , ( i was talking with farrier when vet trotted him) I saw Jesse Canter around his pasture when a girl came on a bicycle,, he cantered very nicely. And his trotting  with the vet looked fine as well. Additionally, he is walking much better after his trim  at six weeks. At four weeks I will evaluate if he can go to six weeks or we should move back to five week trim.  I’ll probably require five weeks regardless.
thoughts on my plan??  LJ Friedman  Nov 2014 Vista,   Northern  San Diego, CA

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ,

You updated photos, but there aren't any lateral shots ... get down at ground level for all of them please

Ellen
Pal & Savvy
N. Alabama
Aug 2013
Case History

Trisha DePietro

Hi LJ.  Did the vet/farrier test feet with hoof testers? And he was sensitive in all areas of the hoof? And did the farrier explain how the shoes would help and why? I like your idea of the boots for comfort while walking...and returning to a five week trim...it would be good to see a few more photos too....
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

LJ Friedman

yes vet  used hoof testers,  will look to take lateral views

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

I took some more additional pictures of some lateral views and some down on the ground views. Let me know if anything else is needed. And thoughts on the beautiful photos.?  Many thanks to Nancy for helping me load them to my ch.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Kirsten Rasmussen

When you say he walking better after a trim, it suggests to me that his trims are too far apart.  If you are going to start jiaogulan I would make sure he is trimmed every 4 weeks max.

To me it looks like his toes are too far forward, especially if these photos are post-trim, and especially on his fronts (particularly the RF, which is actually not doing a good job at trimming itself given the dished dorsal wall and toe crack).  They might look good from the sole view, which is probably your farrier's only view, but the lateral shots tell the truth.

Before putting him on a trot regimen I would work on getting his toe breakover back more, otherwise the forced trotting will put strain on his joints and soft tissues, as well as the lamellae in his hooves.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History