7% protein hay.....help with supplementing it

DEBBIE GIRARD

Thank you all in advance....This summer I have no longer been soaking hay because I have been getting each small load that I purchase tested and its been low sugar/starch.  But Im learning that it has never been above 7%  protein..I get first cut  Timothy and sometimes it is stalkier than other times...I base my feed on a 1200 lb horse so he gets 24 lbs of hay , Vermont Blend, TriAmino, flax  and his meds and supplements in 1 lb of Stabul.   Im riding  4-5 times a week now that he is sound   but I have been worried about not being able to rebuild the topline he has lost.   I just read on another reply to a post that anything below 8% protein should be supplemented.   I would like to do that but I dont know how to figure out how much of what I should supplement him with.  I can get Whey Protein Isolate or Rice Bran but I dont know how to calculate how much out of that 7% protein he is actually absorbing...Do I take the percentage at face value and calculate from that?   Right now my horse isnt eating enough hay to build muscle and has low energy  so I feel the protein level is a missing link in his recovery.   He is leaving hay uneaten or I would first try to just increase his hay but that wont work for us.  It would be a huge help to me if someone can advise me on the actual quantity of protein supplements to feed.   Thanks a bunch!

Debbie Girard   Massachusetts  2022

Sherry Morse

Hi Debbie,

Have you had the hay balanced? Is the horse IR or PPID? As a reminder total intake per day is meant to include hay AND concentrates. If you are feeding 25lbs a day that's too much for a 1200lb horse.
--

Thanks,
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)

PA 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Scutch_Scarlet/Scutch%20Case%20History.pdf

DEBBIE GIRARD

He has cushings and IR and 25 lbs is not too much for the amount of excercise he gets. He is barely holding his weight. Id love to know about protein supplementing please. thank you.

--
Debbie Girard   Massachusetts  2022

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You're jumping the gun here Debbie.  We need a complete case history.  How much of that 24 pounds is he actually eating?  Is he ACTH/PPID under control?

I'd start with "is the IR and PPID well controlled?" and then contact someone about balancing the hay, including the protein. Rice bran is not appropriate for an IR horse.