PEA

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

For the horses, I mix it with their am mash which has coco omega.

Dogs i mix with their food with a little coconut oil.

For me (don't laugh) I put it in a tortilla with a little butter and nutritional yeast :)
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Frances C.

So how are you administrating the umPEA? I've had to mess around with this quite a bit. For the last couple of days it has been to put 1200 mg of umPEA in a small 4 oz plastic container, add 1 teas. hempseed oil, stir and then let sit for a few minutes before adding 2 oz of ground flax which acts as a sort of scouring brush. Then this mix is scraped into a cereal bowl which has 5 oz of alfalfa meal (slightly soaked pellets in warm water). This is carried out to HER MAJESTRY for inspection and consumption. Repeat procedure in evening. Same thing for the Prascend pill - cereal bowl with 5 oz Stabul 1 meal with tab with tad of honey for stickiness. I DON'T GET TIPS. She had been refusing everything but hay so it was out with the salt, spirulina and everything else she considered unsuitable. Probably she has a chewing issue and the dry alfalfa  and Stabul 1 pellets were too difficult for her. Thoughts????
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Update in myself use of PEA um
 Started Vinnie and Summer on 2400mg 2x per day and they both developed soft manure by day 3 so reduced to 2400 mg one time per day.

Summer is much improved in her hip tightness in fact she normally flips her leads behind. Previously we had injected her hocks and hip bursa with IA adequan which helped a bit, but once she had PEA um she seemed to hold her leads consistently and she js doing a more three beat canter. Prior to PEA um she was a little lateral at the canter.

Vinnie seems looser in his hind end as well. He doesn't hike his hind legs as much when I pick up to clean his hooves.

I am inconsistent with taking it myself 600mg once or twice a day but notice an absolute difference in my left frozen shoulder and left SI when I do take it. My SI pain I think is due to an old riding accident. I have a little asymmetry and the more out of alignment I get, the more painful my SI and shoulder become.

I started all four dogs on it 2 days ago, 400mg per dog weights ranging from 50 to 70lb. I will report back in the dogs.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Frances C.

PEA is a pricey product for our ponies. I couldn't find anything that recommended PEA by weight nor anything new that didn't refer to humans. However I did find some interesting stuff:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6769461 -therapeutic efficiency with antioxidant molecules. Note - PEA has no antioxidant capability. Goes on to describe the effects of PEA combined with: Luteolin, Polydatin(resveterol),  Quercetin, Silymarin, Baicalein and a coffee like form of mPEA and umPEA.
This lengthy article is worth a read. -  Read Conflict of interest statement at end(Epitech Group))

PMC5116524 - natural compounds for pain relief

PMC6610250 - BCPEA - beta-caryophyllene (BCP) - carsonic acid and myrhh NOXIALL is brand name (not available in USA??) Discussion on PEA with ashwgandha, omega 3's ,omega 9 (GLA)such as olive oil, evening primrose oil, borage oil, black currant oil, ahiflower oil(buglossoidea arvensis) Also combinations of frankincense, grape seed extract and vitamin E.

PMC7139331 - PEA and Luteolin for antioxidant effect - Read conflict of interest statement at end.

NFH - Pain Relief SAP is a product manufactured by a Canadian company. Its capsules consist of 300mg of mPEA+30 mg devil's claw. It appears that it is only sold to physicians

I priced out all sorts of PEA and came away with costs varying from $1.80 a day to $2.20. The Elevations Terepenes,(umPEA) which seems to be favored by this group, when purchased in amounts over 250 grams and administered at half the rate of regular PEA is competivly priced with other formulations. Apparently to be most effective PEA should be ultarmicronized or at least micronized, mixed with oil as it dos not mix with water, and perhaps, significantly, administered with some other compound such as gabapentin or lyrica for nerve pain (in humans again) so that the drug amount can be reduced.

 I started using PEA on my mare on 12.8.2020 with just 400 mg in oil. The next day she was much more bright eyed but by the day after was back to her old dull self. By 12.15.2020 she was at 2000 mg PEA in oil with the addition of 1 teaspoon of Pine Bark extract (form of resveterol) with no visible improvement. On 1.7.21 I added 500 mg of bromelain and 500 mg quercetin but to see if that improved things but none noticed. On 1.30.21 the PEA was increased to 2000 mg twice a day. 3 days later she had more appetite and energy but the next day was a bad day. On 2.13.21 started on the Elevations Terpenes umPEA 1200 mg and 1 teas. devil's claw extract and continued with the quercetin twice a day. On the next day, the 14th she was fiesty and pushy and hot to trot but when I went to feed at pm she was down and unable to get up without the assistance of some good whacks on the butt. She seems back to normal today. I am sure wondering if there is some kind of rebound effect going on as seems if one day of higher energy is followed by a collapse the next.

For myself, and as many of you seem to report, PEA seems to help with chronic pain.

--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I found this article about PEA and CBD perhaps being synergistic for certain things.  Thoughts?

https://www.naturopathic-care.com/pea-and-cbd-oil-pain-inflammation-neuroprotection

I am starting up again, now that I got my new order. I can definitely tell the difference in my shoulder after stopping and then starting again. I was considering using cbd oil as well for myself.

I started Vinnie and Summer on 2500mg 2 times per day, but I like/ need the calming effects of CBD pellets I have been giving. Would there be a problem using both?
Thx Nan
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Thanks, Lisa!  It looks like she includes lots of references in her reading list as well.  I felt guilty taking this thread off topic so I started another one specifically for Shivers and Stringhalt but I forgot to post that information here.  I will copy your post there so it won’t be missed.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Lynn

I learned of PEA for the first time through this thread. When I got Relevante my vet guesstimated his age - from his teeth - to be 20. This May he'll be coming up on 24 years of age. I plan to start riding him in March (slowly of course). He's been on Mov-Ease from the beginning [ and I'm trying the Uckele Hemp Joint pellets] but it sounds like members are experiencing visible results. Relevante is not experiencing the type of discomfort [though his rads show some ringbone - which has not progressed over the last four years] many have described on this thread per se ....but with his age and our plans to ride and slowly get to some real exercise could I give him this almost as a preventative?
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

lmittler@...

For what it’s worth, I stumbled upon Audrey DeClue DVM’s podcast called “The Horse First” a few months ago. The bulk of her work, aside from working on performance horses, is Shivers and Stringhalt research. I really enjoy her podcast! Each episode is full of great information. https://declue-equine.com/about/

--
Lisa Mittler
Barefoot Hoof Practitioner

Maria Duran

Dr. Kellon,

Which are the tissues more helped by PEA? Mainly joints and muscle to some extent, or can also help with tendons and ligaments?

Thank you.
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I started taking 600mg twice a day yesterday, and it has allowed me to stop taking advil for my shoulder.  I am.literally blown away..  My left shoulder is partially frozen and now I can swing my arm in a full circle and almost a full rotation with no pain. Prior to this I had alot of pain at the end of the day and could only do a partial rotation but couldn't bring my arm near my ear.  I still have twinging pain when I hit the top of the rotation but it has only been two days.

I started Vinnie and Summer too, but I could have skewed the result because I gave them both adequan on the same day to start... but I am seeing positive changes already... stay tuned.

--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

jmc

I'm buying a pill with straight PEA for myself: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B085X4WKRL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For Yankee, it's working much better to mix it with about 1/2oz of oil before putting it in his soup. I even experimented by pouring the oil mixture into a couple of Dimples treats, and capping them with a bit of German Horse Muffin... that worked but it'd take three of these to give a full dose, so not really advisable ... trying to work out how the best way to give him a morning dose without having to syringe it. I think he's responding to getting it once a day, now that he's getting the full dose, but I guess the instructions are to give twice a day for some length of time, *then* go down to once a day...

--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Nancy C

For Skip, I add it to his meals.

For me, I mix it in a little bit of whatever we are having for dinner, or olive oil.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

My dog that size is benefiting from 400 mg once a day.  Another option would be 200 to 300 mg twice a day. PEA is tasteless so easy to administer in food or sprinkled on a corner of bread and butter then folded up.

mind my asking dosage for arthritic dog 75 pounds?   And once or twice daily??

Neighbors dog ;(  but I hate seeing her limping ...

Thanks so much!

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

This is a little easier to read https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/713-UegFXGL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Thank you, Dr. Kellon!  For some reason, I could not expand the photo on their website and I could not read the details.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Bobbie Day

Wow Nancy that is encouraging, I’m tempted to try it on myself. I’ve had back issues for several years and have lots of hardware, nerve damage in both legs so I can relate to Desi’s pain. I already have it so I think tomorrow I’m going to try it again.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus March 2020

Bobbie Day

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Martha,

The ElevatIon Terpese powder has a tsp to mg measurement chart.  I personally prefer the pure powders to capsules with lord knows what in them. Typical human dose is 600 mg twice daily for three weeks then once daily.

Having read through this thread a number of times, I am ready to order some, for me!  If it works for your right knee, Nancy, it might help my left with its arthritis and torn PCL of years back.  Do you need to weigh it each time or is it easy to convert the dose to a measuring spoon?  Is 100 g a good place to start to give me a good trial?  Thanks!