Triple Crown Timothy Hay Cubes as complete diet

Suzy Berkowitz

I saw a post about feeding the cubes as a complete diet. Please help me in what items and in what quantity I need to do this. Thank you
--
Suzy in Fl 2020

Sherry Morse

Hi Suzy,

To be clear, it's the Ontrario Dehy Timothy Balance Cubes (ODTBC) which are sold in the US under the Triple Crown label as "Triple Crown Naturals Timothy Balance Cubes" that can be used in place of hay without needing extra minerals as each bag is balanced appropriately.  Having said that, as per Aurelio, the replacement value is 3:4 so for every 4lbs of hay you would use 3lbs of cubes instead:

chemelle

Suzy Berkowitz

Thanks Sherry. So I don’t need to add any supplements to the cubes. There was a post earlier where someone said salt and another ingredient( I can’t remember what it was) should be added to the cubes if I was to make it the sole diet. Thanks
--
Suzy in Fl 2020

Sherry Morse

Hi Suzy,

Are you referring to the post to Marsha with regard to Buzzy? You would need to continue to add salt, vitamin E and flax, however you wouldn't need to worry about phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, selenium, calcium, zinc, iodine, and copper.

Lorna Cane

Hi Chemelle,

Aurelio and Dr. K are the ones to answer this really.
But if you are talking about the ODTBC (Timothy Balance Cubes, not to be confused with just Timothy Cubes),they are not just hay.They have minerals,beet pulp added to them.
I imagine that's why., but am open to correction.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Hi, Chenelle. The balanced ODTBC have more calories than safe hay compared pound to pound. Therefore if you match hay to ODTBC pound for pound, you will be feeding too many calories.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Thank you for asking this, Suzy, and Sherry for having the answer.  We had a few horses that needed some additional weight last spring and I put them on the balanced cubes at an appropriate weight had they been hay.  They fattened up really quickly and kept on gaining and now I know why.  We quickly adjusted the cubes downward again and they’re in good shape now.  I now recall reading about the 3:4 ratio at some point in the past, before it seemed important to me.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

chemelle

Thank you!
I am using a mix of ODTBC and hay as my guy just hates any added supplements so it was a way to cut down on some of the added minerals/balancer but I was not aware that it had a higher calorie count.
--
Chemelle
Hillsboro, OR

Suzy Berkowitz

Hi Sherry. Yes that was the post. I have not been adding anything to the cubes. So I should be? If yes, can you help me with that. Thanks.
--
Suzy in Fl 2020

The cubes are also sold in the USA under the Ontario Dehy label.  In plain brown bags with a purple tag at Tennessee co-ops.

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Because the product is dehydrated … hay usually contains 10% or more moisture .

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Sherry Morse

Hi Suzy,

You can reference the diet page of the website for information on salt, flax and vitamin E: https://www.ecirhorse.org/DDT+E-diet.php

Suzy Berkowitz

Hi Sherry. Thank you
--
Suzy in Fl 2020

I am assuming the 3:4 ratio is dry not soaked.
--
Diann Kuzma
One Hoof at a Time

Lorna Cane

Right, Diann , we always calculate using dry weight .

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario