CVS vitamin E capsules -- bad smell?

S Kauffmann

Hey Everyone,

I was looking through previous comments about sources of vitamin E and saw that some people were using CVS capsules, so I ordered some. They just arrived yesterday -- were quite cold when I first opened the bottle (having sat in a cold parcel locker for a few hours), but seemed fine. This morning, however, they have warmed up to room temp, and when I opened the bottle, there was an unpleasant smell. Is this normal or should I return them? Also wondering how many a day you would add to a horse's diet who is on the regular Cal Trace. Thank you!
--
Susan K in NV
2003

Hi, Susan.
No, a bad odor is NOT normal. Return them for a refund. I've had Vitamin E capsules stored too long and they expired. They had a bad odor. You should smell nothing more than a faint vitamin odor I always associate with kids' vitamins. Make sure the gel caps contain oil.

Ignore the Vitamin E in CA Trace. Add the full amount of Vitamin E from capsules containing oil.  The number of capsules depends on their potency, whether 400 IU or 1000 IU, and the weight of your horse. You want to give a minimum of 1000 IU Vitamin E per 500 lbs body weight. So for a 1000 pound horse, give 2000 IU of Vitamin E/day, which is 2 gel caps of 1000 IU Vit. E or 5 gel caps of 400 IU Vit. E.  FWIW, my fussy mare dislikes the larger 1000 IU gel caps and easily eats the 400 IU capsules.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

millionairess1989

Hi Susan,

I've used CVS vitamin e capsules for the almost 10 years that Mill has been PPID. There's never been a problem for me until my last purchase a few weeks ago. An almost rancid smelling odor was apparent the minute that I opened the bottles. They were 2 different quantities with expirations in 2023 and 2024. I had no problem returning them for a refund. The labels on the bottles state there is a money back guarantee. I've since ordered from Swanson Vitamins.
--
Jennifer in Middle TN  2010
 Mill 31 yrs Arabian-PPID, IR & Pacemaker Dependent

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Starshine Ranch

Hi Susan,
Sorry about the smell... nasty!  A good online source and the best price I've found for Vit E caps is PipingRock.com   I'm in N Cal and also use CA Trace.  I get the 1000 IU caps and feed two each day... they are pretty big but the horses seem to love them and gobble them right up.  Delivery usually takes almost a week but the price is worth it.  Hope this works for you.
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara

ferne fedeli

I checked out the Vit E capsules on PipingRock, but they didn't seem to have oil in them.  I saw Vitamin E oil sold separately.  Did I not look in the right place?  I usually get my Vit E capsules from MyBestHorse or sometimes Costco.  You need to be sure there is some oil in them.
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History

Starshine Ranch

They are natrural Vit E... I feed ground flaxseed so I guess I haven't worried about oil but not sure now.
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Linda,

The vit E needs to be in direct contact with the oil to be absorbed fully, so just having flax in the meal (or mixing it into flax) isn't enough. Need to open the capsules and mix the contents with a bit of oil.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Starshine Ranch

Thank you...
Well DARN!   I will be sending all those back.
I just went on to Lucky Vitamins and they have a good variety of vit e caps that contain oil.  I already ordered some.
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara