Insulin blood test

Suzy Berkowitz

Scout eats the triple crown Timothy balance cubes. Because there are other ingredients in with the haycubes, do I need to withhold them for the insulin test or are they ok to feed as usual? Thanks
--
Suzy in Fl 2020
Scout Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Suzy%20Scout

Candice Piraino

HI Suzy!

You should either provide enough hay (cubes) that they don't run out overnight or make the first meal of the day at least 4 hours out from the blood draw. Hope this helps!

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/256813?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,fasting+%2B+eleanor,20,2,0,77780938
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Candice%20and%20Shark

Shark's Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71507

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @ www.arkhavenfarm.com

Kirsten Rasmussen

As Candice said, don't fast him.  Just feed his usual diet.  The hay cubes don't contain grain or high ESC/starch ingredients, which is what we recommend withholding prior to blood work.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Mary Kane

The Candace reply to Suzy to make the am blood test 4 hours out is confusing. My understanding is, if no continuous overnight hay, then do blood test at least/more than four hours after the start of the first meal. Because insulin spikes for the first meal after fasting (fasting starts 6 hours after finishing last meal.
Mary Kane

--
Mary Kane
Maple Valley WA