To much pracend ?acting a bit aggressive ,planting hay this season

Tara Smith

Hi 2 topics ..Gavi has reached a 5.3 pracend sweet spot that he has been doing well on.  He will have more blood work in the next couple weeks . Symptoms have much improved. He is usually the lowest man on the total pole and he is being aggressive towards top horse and ponies .Pracend potentially having this side affect?Also we are trying to plant our own hay this year to ve specific for the horses .Low iron ,nitrogen ,esc,starch etc. I have to choose grass blend to get in the ground for next week..I'm thinking orchard Timothy blend ?I was told they have a finer Timothy blend as well to choose from any thoughts  I can custom blend the seeds /tuples of grasses that will be best for them . Hoping for input please?
--
Tara and Gavilon
Mass.  Nov 2017

Hi Tara,

I have no comment on the hay portion of your question but if the current Prascend dose is helping Gavi feel better than he has in a long time the attempt to change his position in the hierarchy may be related to that.  You could call it a side effect of the medication I suppose, but only in a very roundabout sort of 'hey I no longer feel yucky' sort of way.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Tara,

I agree it's entirely possible, even most likely, he is simply feeling better and asserting himself to get a better social position. We've heard that story many, many times.

Step 1 with your hays is to treat the field as dictated by the soil analysis. If you speak to the testing lab and tell them you would like to aim for the upper end of the acceptable pH scale (limits iron), and let them know if you want more magnesium in the hay (can be substituted for part of the lime), they can customize your plan.

For ease of management I would go with a single grass type. That makes it easier to cut your hay with all the grass at the same stage of maturity.

Tara Smith

So which grass type may be the best ,orchard or Timothy for best choice?also is there any chance 2 much ivonkanna would cause mood change when he is controlled he is on 150 mg and how do you know if they actually will need the increase in pracend long term.Will at test show if we are offering to much or is it about watching symptoms and playing with doses ?
--
Tara and Gavilon
Mass.  Nov 2017
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tara%20and%20Gavilon

Nancy C

Hi Tara

As we discussed, Timothy is the primary grass in my grower's fields.

Can you clarify your second question please? Are you asking about Invokana, Prascend or both?
Either way, testing is always best. You may want to review recent messages on Invokana, eg.,

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/262445

Updated info has been sent to all vets currently working with Dr Kellon.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room