Now what

Daune Gatenby

Now that my horse is not laminitic. How should i feed him. I know to soak the hay and i know low to no sugar balancer, but how much? Still 1 to 2 % of his weight in hay but how much balancer. No grass fields. But how much of everything.

--
Daune and Monty
Southeastern Massachusetts

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Daune,

Without more info from you, the general instructions for a 1000lb horse at maintenance are:

2% of body weight in hay (20lbs), unless they need to lose weight.  You can safely go as low as 1.5% of body weight if they need to lose weight, but no less than that.

Add in minerals balanced to your hay, either a custom mix (highly recommended here to customize minerals to your hay), or one of the recommended balancers (feed the amount recommended for that product on the package):
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing/Acceptable%20commercial%20ration%20balancers/Acceptable%20Ration%20Balancers.pdf

Use a safe carrier to mix minerals in with:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/5%20Core%20Diet/2.%20Safe%20Feeds/Safe%20Bagged%20Feeds.pdf
Feed just enough needed to get the horse to eat their minerals.  Include the dry weight of the carrier in the total daily weight of hay the horse eats, so 19 lbs hay + 1 lb carrier = 20 lbs, or 2% body weight of a 1000 lb horse.

1600-2000 IU vit E in oil.

2/3 to 1 cup ground flax.

1-2 Tbsp salt, more if sweating, plus free choice salt.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Daune Gatenby

--
Daune and Monty
Southeastern Massachusetts
2021

Daune Gatenby

--
Daune and Monty
Southeastern Massachusetts
2021
  thank you .   I dont know what you mean by more information.   Monty’s history is there.    How can i be more transparent?

Lorna Cane

Hi Duane,

Here is the link to your CH.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daune%20and%20Monty

But there is no case history there.

Can you check out what might have gone wrong?

Did you forget to Save,for example?

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Nancy C

HI Daune

Would you please add the link to your CH to your signature. This saves your hardworking volunteers a bunch of time in not having to look it up for questions.

Here are the instructions

Copy your Case History link https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daune%20and%20Monty

Go to this link on the ECIR web page  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

Scroll down to where your signature is and paste the link into your signature window.  Hit ENTER/RETURN so the link becomes active (blue)

HIT SAVE.

Thank for your help during this very busy time.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

Nancy C

Hi Lorna

I am finding a .pages version, that you may not see.

Daune -- Most folks cannot read a pages version. That is why we ask for a .pdf version. Can you convert to .pdf and upload please?

You do this by opening the the pages doc, the open FILE window at the top of your screen.  Scroll down to EXPORT TO and then choose .pdf.  Follow the prompts from there.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

Nancy K.

I did my case studies in Pages and am unhappy with them. I can’t seem to edit them. I don’t understand the merging thing. I have the Microsoft Office suite. Is there any reason I can’t just use the regular form even though I’m on a Mac?

Nancy Camp
Whole Horse Training
Carey, Idaho 83320

--

-Nancy K. with Jalila & Shiraz

March 2021, Blaine county Idaho

Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Jalila

Jalila’s Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=262313
Shiraz's Photos:

Nancy C

If you can get the .doc open, then go for it.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

Nancy K.

Will do. Thanks.

Nancy Camp
Whole Horse Training
Carey, Idaho 83320

--

-Nancy K. with Jalila & Shiraz

March 2021, Blaine county Idaho

Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Jalila

Jalila’s Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=262313
Shiraz's Photos:

I use both Pages and Word on my Mac interchangeably.  I’ve definitely merged cells in Pages but if you’re more familiar with Word, I suggest going with that.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo