Riosa and Invokana dose

hdavis

I am still awaiting my lab results for my glucose, insulin and triglycerides and Rio is doing well except for not being as forward and wanting to exercise as she once was. I don’t believe she is foot sore but maybe just less energetic.  Should I be perhaps cutting her Invokana dose as could the 300mg dose be part of this?  She is usually a very forward mare and lately she isn’t as enthusiastic to go for hikes or Into her lunge line work outs. She doesn’t appear to be foot sore but wondering if maybe it is the 300mg dose of Invokana?  Could she be needing less of it now that it now thst she is getting properly stored product than before. Or do we just stay on the original dose until we get blood work back?  Thanks in advance.
--
Heather Davis
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Sherry Morse

Hi Heather,

Obviously I'm not a vet but I think that at this point we may just not know all the answers to these questions as Invokana use is so new and the horses on this group are basically the 'experimental herd'. I think Dr. Kellon may be keeping track of who's on what dose at this point and what possible side effects are being seen but I'm not sure if anybody else has mentioned lack of energy.  Hopefully one of the other Invokana users will see this and be able to let you know if it's something they've seen in or not.

hdavis

Yes I totally agree we are the experimental herd and lots of unknowns but I do know that this drug is what has saved us so far. I am thinking maybe she just needs more energy in her diet maybe, even if she isn’t loosing weight. Hopefully Dr. Kellon can respond but in the meantime we will carry on as is and I know lots of others have questions they posted they would like help with too and I don’t think we are in dire straights yet so can wait.

So appreciative of this group and the support and sharing of all the info and experiences!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Lecia Martin

Hi Heather:   I have been following with great interest, especially after Nancy's journey with Vinnie. I, too have noticed a lack of energy,  and unwillingness to move forward. Discussed it with my vet on Friday as a matter of fact.  Flyte's bloods showed increased liver enzymes and slightly elevated triglycerides. Currently he is on 2/3 of a tab,  but I am wondering about cutting it to half a tab.  We will be testing again first week of May. I have struggled this winter with his weight as well.  On the plus side his feet are good and moves well when he wants to.  I am hoping Dr. Kellon will weigh in at some point for feedback.
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

Nancy C

Hi Folks

Dr Kellon is keeping an eye on all of the Invokana horses. Make sure your lab tests are in your CH . Stay in contact with your vet.

If your vet feels that Triglycerides are too high and a role back is in order, based on previous reports, personally I would follow that guidance.

If you feel signs are showing things you have not seen before, discuss testing with your vet.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

We just started Vinnie back in 1/8th (cutting the pill 8 ways) of the original dose (300mg) we are pulling blood tomorrow to see where the insulin and triglycerides are with this low dose.

Vinnies triglycerides have come down to 71 and it was only because insulin was going up (49 then 68 two weeks apart) that we decided to restart the meds. I am working directly with my vet at the moment until Dr Kellon has a moment to check in.

Thanks Nancy :)
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca