early ppid question

LJ Friedman

Is there amount of time,months, years etc. where in early PPID horse that only showed with a TRH stim test, can move over to ACTH with good confidence?  Majestic is doing quite well though I don’t test him perhaps as often as I should.

Jesse( over the rainbow) and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Sherry Morse

Hi LJ,

Was the test in 2019 the last one Majestic had?  If so, since the TRH stim test was done during the seasonal rise when we don't have an accurate scale for post-TRH results I would take that result with a large grain of salt and perhaps think of checking him this year just to see how he compares to the 2019 test.

LJ Friedman

The reason why I’m confident in the diagnosis is because he was having problems with his tendons that cleared up almost immediately after starting pergolide. Recapping, when should I test and which test should I get?

Jesse( over the rainbow) and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Sherry Morse

Hi LJ,

I'd retest in June or July at the latest so if you need to update his dose prior to the rise you have time to do that (and you would just need the basal ACTH test, not TRH stim).

Nancy C

Hi LJ

Agree with Sherry.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

LJ Friedman

Is it OK to test now or is it a benefit to wait for June July? Thank you

Jesse( over the rainbow) and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Sherry Morse

Hi LJ,

There's no benefit to waiting unless you want an exact comparison to the same time of year he was tested last time.