Wellness Ready Laminitis test kit???

Joy V

I got an article from Equus magazine today about laminitis and a new "rapid" test system (with some of the usual inaccuracies re laminitis and tx).  There's a link below to the PDF I uploaded.  I'm interested in the "wellness ready" test.  I wonder how accurate this test is?  It would be great if it actually works.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how it might work?  It could be pretty interesting to get test results in minutes.

Link to article:   https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Joy%20and%20Willie/equus-extra_vol-42.pdf

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Hi Joy,

My very first thought is that this is another nice slick sponsor provided info sheet and it's very similar to their last Laminitis Extra other than the different ads.

https://equusmagazine.com/equus-extra/equus-extra-insulin-resistance was the last one we discussed just last month.

As far as this though, from the bit of information they provide and the picture it looks like a fancy glucometer.  If you go to the website you can request more information on it (which I've done).  They've certainly put quite a bit of money into marketing but when this was mentioned the other day (via a press release or ad on The Horse.com) I couldn't even find the website.

Nancy C

We've been hoping for something like this for years. An at-home insulin test. However this apparently requires a vet to administer.

The attending vet in the video here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8uno1nwHn recommends testing once a month, I assume at the cost of a farm call and veterinary costs.

Interesting also that the lovely horse in the video is a stallion.

Sure would like to know more about the testing mechanism and the stallion's Dx.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

Joy V

Thanks Sherry for your view.  I didn't go to the website, thank you for requesting more info.  IF there actually *is* more info that they send you, would you mind sharing?  They really are going full court press w/ this one.  I saw the other ad via Equus too.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Joy V

For such a "convenience" it sure does up the cost to the consumer by having to be administered by a vet still.   Once a month vet calls?  No thanks, there's no way I could afford that.  I'd like to know more about the testing mechanism too.  I'm going to go watch the video now.

Thanks for your input Nancy.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Can't say anything about the DX but he's a Lusitano so could definitely be IR.  In my ideal world they'd develop the insulin equivalent of a CGMS for horses rather than needing a vet to do this.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Beautitful animal in that photo.

In general, being a stallion helps prevent EMS/IR - even in high risk breeds - but that protection fades along with the testosterone, as they age.

Doesn't prevent them from getting fat from over feeding, however. Nor does it prevent them from developing PPID, and therefore possible secondary IR, as they age.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

I bristle a bit whenever I see “Equus Extra”.  The ones I’ve seen have all been paid promotionals.  And, because of the way they are intentionally designed, it’s easy to confuse them with an Equus article.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Joy V

He's a lovely horse.  I did not know that about stallions Lavinia.  Interesting!

I'm with you Martha.  I clicked on this one to see what they got wrong in the "article" ...

Wouldn't it be great if we could test, affordably, whenever we wanted or needed to without a vet?  I hope too that can be a reality someday Sherry.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Bobbie Day

Got this as well, I agree Lavinia beautiful horse !
I bet it’s probably not doable (cost wise) for most. It would be wonderful though to be able to test yourself. I am interested in what you find out too.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus March 2020

Nicole Sicely

I wonder if the vet part is simply because they think most horse owners wont draw blood.  But if you could draw your own blood, would you need a vet?  I'd love to have my vet use this and then run the regular insulin test at the same time to see how the results compare.
--
Nicole in VT

Joined 9/22/04

Sherry Morse

My very jaded view on this is that you could buy one for your own use if you can draw blood; but they may not want to sell to anyone who's not a vet for liability reasons.  I'd also like to think that they could produce studies showing the accuracy of the device compared to a regular test on the same blood, but that's something the website does not address.

Alice

I received the same email yesterday and am thrilled to see the discussion pop up here today. Although the current info seems to require a vet visit, it would seem to be a great way to help make a quick diagnosis in the field rather than having to wait several days for lab test results to come back. Waiting is not an effective strategy. And eventually, if an owner had a good relationship with their vet, then the owner could possibly et the test from to vet to self-test. Will be interesting to see how accurate it is compared to the regular test.
--
Alice A
March 2021, Custer, SD