Alternative to banamine or bute during colic when on ivonkana

Tara Smith

--Hi also Dr kellon mentioned another safe drug for horses in pain or that may have a colic episode while on ivonkana.Can someone tell me again what that may be . My pony was colicky this week and if ever Gavi gets into an issue we want the proper and safe meds here that can be taken if a horse does use ivonkana. BEST ALWAYS ,Tara
Tara and Gavilon
Mass.  Nov 2017
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tara%20and%20Gavilon

You're thinking of post 250187. If the horse needs an emergency treatment give it, preferably with fluids. Stop Invokana until the horse has recovered. Fluids are very important for horses on this medication.

Tara Smith

What do you recommend for fluid therapy  for horses safest and best route nose or Iv? Sedation was recommended this week for my pony that appeared dehydrated after sweating and diarrhea.If gavi ever had a colic issue could he be sedated  if need be and treated with banamine and fluids? We treated with electrolytes added to food with my pony  .Are horses on ivonkana allowed to have electrolytes to encourage drinking at times ?If yes ,what do you recommend?Gavi often sweats when warmer weather settles in

--
Tara and Gavilon
Mass.  Nov 2017
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tara%20and%20Gavilon

The type and route for fluid needs to be determined by the treating vet - as does sedation, etc. Most people use electrolytes incorrectly https://wp.me/p2WBdh-I7 .  Are you giving salt as instructed?

Tara Smith

Yes salted over damp free choice hay bag I presently use to tbs. To 2.5 tbs over a large volume over his shared slow feeder bag..is this the correct amount ..should I offer any free choice salt in another bucket and if so which type ?
--
Tara and Gavilon
Mass.  Nov 2017
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tara%20and%20Gavilon

LJ Friedman

are you clipping to keep horse comfortable?

Jesse( over the rainbow) and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Tara Smith

LJ typically I dnt clip Gavi as he never usually since I've owned him develops a very thick coat in winter and then does shed out whatever he has come spring..he always has been a sweaty guy in the heat.  I thought had to do with the cushings..but yes I could clip him..just would wanna makes sure it comes back for fall as he needs all he can grow .I already need to blanket him at times over the others.