Request for follow up from Lavinia--second try

riggslippert@...

Hi Lavinia,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at these photos.  You did markups on Cadet in November which my farrier used for his next trim--see message https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/topic/78267663#257887.  He has been in Clouds with the standard pad on all four feet since then.  My farrier thinks his heels look better and he has been sound since early December (I check him on arena footing or grass without boots).  I was hoping to be able to leave the boots off now that the weather is warmer.  I was also hoping to start riding him again.

Can the new hoof pictures (taken 13 days after his most recent trim) give you some idea if the broken back HPAs in his hind feet are improved, or do I need to have more radiographs taken to assess this?

Thank you again.
--
Aunna
October 2018

Cadet Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=84102

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Aunna,

It would be really helpful if you could get a lateral shot of each leg (all four) which includes the cannon bone. Have him stand up as squarely as possible.

Thanks.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

riggslippert@...

Hi Lavinia,

Sorry, I'll include these shots in the collection from now on.  They have been added.  Thanks again!
--
Aunna
October 2018
Oakland County, Michigan, USA
Cadet Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Cadet
Ruger Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Ruger

Cadet Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=84102

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Aunna

It looks like the hinds may have a slightly better HPA but in general, all the heels are really underrun and the toes have run forward - esp. on the fronts. Because the RF is the most upright one, the dishing in the dorsal wall is the most obvious. There appears to be excess wall length beyond the sole all around - want no more than 1/8" to 1/4" max. Need to float the walls in the heels, as well as add rockers to the backs of all of them, to encourage them to stand up straighter. Toes need to come back on all four.

If he's comfortable and sound without boots, he can go without. You can try leaving them off for increasing periods and see how he does. Need to get more aggressive on the trim, tho.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

riggslippert@...

Thank you Lavinia.  He is to be trimmed by a new farrier soon, so I will pass your advice on to him.  To be honest, this is discouraging news.
--
Aunna
October 2018
Oakland County, Michigan, USA
Cadet Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Cadet
Ruger Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Ruger

Cadet Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=84102

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hear ya on the discouraging news - been there, as have too many other people.

If you would like a new set of mark-ups for the new farrier, just send me a note privately to arrange it.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

riggslippert@...

Thank you for the offer of mark-ups.  I understand they take a significant amount of time and effort on your part.  I think I will wait and see how approachable he is before you make the effort.  I might take another set of pictures after the trim to get your general opinion first.  Part of my frustration is that Cadet appears to be doing so well on the Invokana.  His supraorbital fat is gone for the first time since I have known what it indicates.