NSAIDs and the Colon

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

We warn about the risks of using NSAIDs ("bute", Banamine, Equioxx, etc.), especially because they have little, if any, effect on endocrine laminitis pain. Risks far outweigh any benefit. Despite this, the tendency is to ignore dangers unless there is a glaringly obvious side effect. This article should make you think twice.

We are usually told that it is phenylbutazone that poses a significant risk of colon damage but this study found evidence of colon damage after only 2 days of  Banamine (flunixine) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0737080621000812 .

Maxine McArthur

That's a depressing read if one has a horse with uveitis that may need flunixin to control inflammation during a bad flare-up and that can't have steroids. I'll pass it on to my vet for discussion so that we have a plan in place for the future.

Get a horse, they said. It will be fun, they said. Stress relief, they said...

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Joy V

Dr. Kellon, is there anything that can be done to help a horse recover from colon damage due to Banamine?  Or does the vet need to use something else in the case of colic?

Thank you,
Joy

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

If you have a medical emergency and need to use an NSAID you should do it. Use of any medication comes with a risk vs benefit scenario. The gut will heal after short term use. Glutamine can help.

My point for posting that wasn't to never use these drugs, but always think first.

Joy V

Ok, good to know.  Thank you Dr. Kellon.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019