Ground Flax addition to feed

Laura H

Hello,

I've scoured the files for an answer to this and couldn't find anything, if I just missed it please point me in the right direction.

Why is ground flax suggested for an IR horse? I have always used flax as a means of adding calories to a meal for horses that need a bit more weight. Also, it is mentioned not to soak the ground flax. Can it be added dry to soaked feed?

Thanks!
--
Laura Heit - Ontario 2021

Laura H

Should maybe add - her current once a day "meal" is 1 cup of beet pulp, a VM supplement (MadBarn Omneity), 10g magnesium, 1000iu Vitamin E
--
Laura Heit - Ontario 2021

Hi Laura,
Ground flax is recommended to boost the Omega-3 fats in your horse’s diet.  It’s ratio of O-3 to O-6 fats is similar to that of the grass they normally eat.  With the amount we feed, I don’t think it will make much difference to the calorie intake.  I don’t know any reason not to add it to soaked feed.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Cheryl Oickle

I am to understand it is for the omega 3's. I feed dry one half cup daily with her pelleted vitamins.

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

Laura H

Thank you both!! That's helpful.
--
Laura Heit - Ontario 2021

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Laura, we suggest it for all horses whose main diet is hay, because after grass is cut and dried the omega-3 fatty acids degrade quickly.  As most IR horses are kept off grass, it becomes even more important for them.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Diane Pingrey <dianehorsevol@...>

Hi Laura,

In addition to being high in Omega 3s, flax is an anti-inflammatory which can help reduce laminitis or other types of "itises" or inflammation.  Curcumin also helps reduce inflammation which helps arthritis. Chia seeds are also high in Omega 3s, but are also high in calcium, so if your horse is deficient in calcium and in Omega 3s and doesn't like flax, then chia seeds can be a good alternative to flax.  Chia seeds are also good for digestion.

Soy products on the other hand are very high in Omega 6s and contribute to inflammation.

Diane and Denny 30 yr QH mare (parathyroid problem causing excessive calcium in the blood causing IR; excessive calcium level reduced by vitamin A of all things)

--
Diane P in CA 2021

Diane Pingrey <dianehorsevol@...>

Flax oil (not sure about the dry though) can't be heated otherwise it will change the chemical properties in it.  If you soak your feed in hot water, let it cool to room temperature before adding flax oil.

--
Diane P in CA 2021

Edited

Hi Diane,
I posted a welcome message for you here.

There are also a few other thoughts on the flax topic so those that are interested might wish to take a peek at it too.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Deb Walker

Since starting diet and supplementation based on ECIR protocols, my horse gets a little less than 1/2 cup 3 x a day. I weighed it once and it might be listed as weight in his case history. I eliminated soy products that I used to feed. It's always hard to say, but I believe it has been a good addition for him. He eats only soaked ODTBC with soaked beet pulp, and all of his dry supplements are sprinkled on top. No problems.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Laura H

Thank you everybody so much, it makes sense now! :)

--
Laura Heit - Ontario 2021