Request for review of blood work results and hay analysis for Peanut #file-notice

Alice

I have uploaded blood work results for Peanut. Also have uploaded my hay analysis results along with an updated case history. Looking for blood work interpretation as well as comments on the hay I am feeding her. We are down to the end of last year's hay and will be purchasing more this summer. Hope to be able to use the same hay sources as in the past.  Will also need recommendation on mineral balancing for our current hay. Do I need to request that separately?? Thank you!
--
Alice A
March 2021, Custer, SD

Sherry Morse

Hi Alice,

Well a couple of things jump out - first is that the insulin level is too high and the 2nd is that the weight you have listed for Peanut as ideal is not right if that's also her current weight as there's too much of her to love in the pictures you posted originally.  I would suspect her ideal is probably closer to 900 or even less. (As an indicator, 6 on the BCS scale is not normal, it's moderately fleshy.  Normal for an IR horse is 4.5 to 5).  Apparently I said all this when you originally posted as well: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/263267

Is she still on pasture with no muzzle?  Is she being fed a weighed amount of hay each day or is that a guess?  Have you stopped the Nutrena?  Is she being fed any minerals at this time?

When you are ready to have your hay balanced you can contact one of the people on this list: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing/HAY%20BALANCING-1.pdf.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Edited

Peanut has EMS with insulin very close to the danger zone for acute laminitis and likely experiencing subacute laminitis right now. Estimated normal weight is too high by 100 to 200 pounds.

Why is she in shoes?

I can do mineral balancing no charge if you use Uckele products. Contact at kellon@.... The mineral issues with your hay are very common.

Alice

Hi Sherry....yes you told me all that when I initially posted her case history.  I did update my case history  recently which includes information about how she is currently being managed. She is confined to a small paddock and being fed a weighed 16# of hay/day and one pound of Stabul1. She is not on pasture ay all.  She has a trace mineral block and a white salt block. I need advice on what minerals we need to supplement our hay. I will update it again and change her ideal weight....guess I missed that.

Thank you
--
Alice A
March 2021, Custer, SD
Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Alice%20and%20Peanut   .
Peanut's photo album:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=262374  .

Alice

Thank you Dr. Kellon.....for the interpretation of her bloodwork. My local vet said it was high but gave no indication that things could be that critical.  I suspected that she was a likely candidate for IR based on her cresty neck and my past experience with mules. At the time I found your group, I was hoping to just establish a baseline blood work and monitor her over time...I had no idea she could already be having subacute problems.  She is in shoes because we live in a rocky area, We drive and ride her....and she needs protection. There is not a boot made that will stay on a mule's foot....especially ones as small and upright as hers. If she is to get exercise....she needs shoes. She gets no exercise in her paddock.

I did update my case history  recently which includes information about how she is currently being managed. She is confined to a small paddock and being fed a weighed 16# of hay/day and one pound of Stabul1. She is not on pasture at all.  She has a trace mineral block and a white salt block. I need advice on what minerals we need to supplement our hay. I will update it again and change her ideal weight....guess I missed that.

I would very much appreciate getting her hay balanced and getting her on the correct minerals.  Assume rest of our mules (4) will need the same mineral supplementation??  I will send a separate request for that. Again, THANK YOU so much!!
--
Alice A
March 2021, Custer, SD
Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Alice%20and%20Peanut   .
Peanut's photo album:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=262374  .

Sherry Morse

Hi Alice,

At this point I would be feeding her as per the Emergency Diet (https://www.ecirhorse.org/DDT+E-diet.php) which would include, salt added to rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp, flax, vitamin E and Mg.  No salt blocks and no Stabul 1.  Once you get the mineral balancing done you can add that to the beet pulp but it should be the minimum amount needed to get all of the required minerals into her.

Alice

Gotcha....I'm working on it. I did send a request for hay balancing to Dr. Kellon. I haven't heard anything back. Does it take her a while to respond? I'm sure she is very busy.
--
Alice A
March 2021, Custer, SD
Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Alice%20and%20Peanut   .
Peanut's photo album:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=262374  .

Lorna Cane

Hi Alice,

Dr. Kellon has been doing battle with Covid.
Hopefully she is gaining the upper hand, and will reply soon.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Alice

Oh my! Very sorry to hear that. Prayers for a quick and complete recovery!
--
Alice A
March 2021, Custer, SD
Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Alice%20and%20Peanut   .
Peanut's photo album:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=262374  .

Sue Flores

Best wishes and speedy recovery to Dr. Kellon!
--

Sue Flores
Sonoma County, California

COH, Jan 2020

Hi Sue,
I left you a welcome message here.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Sue,

Another option for balancing is to send your analysis to one of our approved hay balancers.  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing
Look for the "HAY BALANCING-1" pdf for the list, but read through all the other files, too.

For a one-time fee they will help you determine what needs to be added.  And yes, all 4 mules will need the same minerals if they are eating the same hay.  Even if they don't all have a tendency to IR, all equines will thrive on a mineral-balanced diet.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Alice

OK....I will try one of these folks. Thanks~