Accidental long-term overdose of Manganese #file-notice

Sharon Bice

I have updated Tailight’s case history & photos (just need to get a better front and behind body shots). There is new information on her Prascend dosage, her feet, new x-rays and also new bloodwork in the bloodwork file.

As I was preparing this update, I realized I have been accidentally feeding double the dose to both of my horses of the manganese polysaccharide (see Tailight’s case study for nutritional information as well as in her photo link for an image of the the email from Fall of 2020 listing the nutritionist’s supplement recommendations (it’s the same supplements listed in Tailight’s case history, but her email has more detail explanation). Also please look at both hay analysis, as the one from May of 2020 was used for the nutritionist’s recommendations but the hay changed slightly a month or so after she made them - and I did not change the supplements (but was accidentally over feeding the manganese the whole time - using one scoop versus a half a scoop per day - so this double dose has been for the past almost 7 months!

I noticed after about a month of feeding this overdose (but not realizing I was doing this) that Tailight started shaking her head throughout the day like she had a nervious tick. She would sometimes do this 3-4 times in a minute then not at all for a few hours over the coarse of the past six months. She is also pretty calm in her demeanor - not very spunky, but still very grumpy (that’s how I realized something was wrong in Spring of 2020 when she started not wanting to be ridden, and then in the fall she was diagnosed mainly with Cushings and other issues (see case history).

My question is, what should I do, I stopped giving them the manganese two days ago as I thought I should give them a break. Should I test for anemia and just get a general bloodwork panel on them? I feel so bad :( but will do everything I can to help her...

Thank you all for this wonderful group —

--
Sharon Bice
December 2020    Sandia Park, New Mexico

Taillight's Case History:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Taillight%20Case%20History

Taillight's Photo Album:

Hi Sharon,

I can't speak to the Manganese issue other than to send you to this blog post by Dr. Kellon: https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/hold-the-manganese/. You would not be looking at anemia, but an iron overload and the only lab that can test for that in the US is KSU.  The information on testing can be found here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Iron,%20Iron%20Testing,%20Iron%20Overload/KSU%20Iron%20Submission%20Information.pdf

Twilight's ACTH is well controlled on the current dose of Prascend and since you have a diagnosis of PPID you no longer need to do the TRH test.  Please note that there is no post-TRH reference values for a stim test with horses currently on Prascend so you only need a basal number (that would be the 20.4 on her current test).

Comments on the trim will need to come from Lavinia.

Sharon Bice

Hi Sherry! Thank you - I will ask my vet if he can do this on Monday for me. I truly appreciate your kindness and help!
--
Sharon Bice
December 2020    Sandia Park, New Mexico

Taillight's Case History:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Taillight%20Case%20History

Taillight's Photo Album:

Edited

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:18 AM, Sharon Bice wrote:
Tailight started shaking her head throughout the day like she had a nervious tick.
Hi, Sharon.
Have you read about head-shaking syndrome in horses? It can be seasonal, starting around or after the spring equinox and leveling off in the fall after the autumn equinox, called photic head-shaking. Here's one video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAB7gJD6Dc&t There may be multiple causes, but one form is called trigeminal-mediated head shaking. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6330979/  Frankly, based on Diamond's behavior, I'm not convinced that head-shakers can't have both types of symptoms - photic and trigeminal.

Protecting the nose from flies and the eyes from bright daylight has been suggested to help. I use Equine Sun Visors, but the manufacturers are retiring. Alternatives include Guardian masks. https://www.horsemask.com

More info here: http://www.headshakerinfo.org
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Sharon Bice

Oh thank you, Cass - I will order one this weekend. Hopefully it will help her. I wasn’t sure if it had to do with the manganese or not or if it was just coincidental. Have a great day and thank you, again!!
--
Sharon Bice
December 2020    Sandia Park, New Mexico

Taillight's Case History:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Taillight%20Case%20History

Taillight's Photo Album:

Hi, Sharon.
I suggest you try to find a cheaper UV protection mask to try out initially. I laid out $170 for a 90% UV filter mask, but my horse refuses to wear it.

Google UV protection horse mask for less expensive options for experimenting.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

Sharon,

I checked just the trace minerals on the new Bermuda hay.  The Select Grass supplement is falling a little short.   You would need to add an additional 95 mg copper,  390 mg zinc and 440 mg manganese along with the supplement to properly balance this hay.   Since you aren't adding the other additional traces, don't add any manganese at all.

I don't believe you were getting anywhere close to a toxic situation with the manganese you were feeding.  Let's just fix it going forward with your new hay.

Carol Broyles
August 2007
Spring Valley,  Ohio

Sharon Bice

Oh okay, probably a good idea! Thank you, Cass!! I love this group - full of such great help and ideas.