Lavinia--Cadet is still footsore, not sure why

riggslippert@...

Hello,

I've uploaded hoof pix taken two days after Cadet's second trim on 5/22/21 by the new farrier.  His fore foot soreness subsequent to eating grass clippings on 5/13/21 (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/264944?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,Aunna,20,2,0,82896089) seemed to be improving prior to this trim.  Unfortunately, he has been worse since the trim, requiring his being in Clouds full time.  Knowing his insulin is constantly high, how do I tell if his soreness is from the trim or from ongoing laminitis?  I haven't been hand walking him since he became sore.  Should I start again as long as he is comfortable in boots?

Thank you for any comments.
--
Aunna
October 2018

Cadet Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=84102

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Is he still on Invokana?  Off Jiaogulan and ALCar?  When were his last radiographs and has he ever had a complete hoof series including navicular shots? I'm wondering because the frogs are contracted and there's a long history of the feet being underrun.

riggslippert@...

Hi Dr. Kellon,

Thank you for responding.  His CH is current--he has been on Invokana 300 mg QD since 10/20/20.  He stopped eating the ALCAR and jiaogulan powder last September, but I have been giving jiaogulan 10:1 extract 410 mg capsules 2 caps BID.  He had a full hoof series in September 2019--I will post the additional shots in my album.  He wore Clouds all winter, then was out of them mid March to mid May.
--
Aunna
October 2018
Oakland County, Michigan, USA
Cadet Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Cadet
Ruger Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Ruger

Cadet Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=84102

riggslippert@...

Sorry, Dr. Kellon.  I forgot to mention that Cadet's last hoof radiographs were taken in November of 2020.  Are you thinking he is lame from a condition other than laminitis?  I'm hoping that Lavinia will comment on his trim.  Thank you again for any input.
--
Aunna
October 2018
Oakland County, Michigan, USA
Cadet Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Cadet
Ruger Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Ruger

Cadet Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=84102

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Aunna,

It's possible there is pain in the back of the feet from the long term underrun heels. His frogs are still contracted.