Invokana users that have lowered the dose

TERRI JENNINGS

Hi All,
Elliott and Finn’s triglycerides returned to “normal” range with extra hay and less time between meals. So we did not change their dosage of Invokana. Finn’s weight has not changed but Elliott has put on a few pounds which concerns me.

I know some of you were lowering your horse’s dosage and/or giving it less frequently. I was wondering how that’s going since I may need to change something for Elliott.

Thanjs in advance for your replies
--
Terri Jennings with Teeny, Finn and Elliott
Arcata, CA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Terri,

If anything he will lose weight with Invokana, not gain it. The extra food is the likely culprit. If you can't separate them to reduce intake, try a partially sealed muzzle to slow him down.

Dosage, intervals, effects on triglycerides have proven to be VERY individual and highly unpredictable with our current state of knowledge. About the only thing obvious so far is there is going to be a minimum dose below which it does not work regardless of dosing interval.

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Hi Terri, we have Vinnie at 56.25 mg which is a 1/8th of a pill plus another half of a 1/8th pill.  Vinnie is doing great, though he is still not at his ideal weight, probably still about 20lb down. I have been slowly adding more beet pulp to increase good calories so that I can get him just a little less lean. He is currently taping between 925 and 938lb

We tried him on 75mg but I think it was too high as he dropped wight almost immediately.

He is walking great too!

Our last labs 4/26  tryglicerides were normal and insulin was a tad above normal.  We are about due for a new set of labs to see how he settled into the 56.25 mg dose.

I think as Dr K mentions every horse is going to be incredibly individualized with dosing and Vinnir is just one of those super sensitive guys.

Ps i have uploaded a current image.

Thanks Nancy
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

TERRI JENNINGS

Thanks Nancy and Dr K,
I’m certain it is the extra hay that is packing on the pounds. I’ve double netted lunch and I just ordered some netting to attach to the underside of the porta grazer lids to slow them down even more. I’m hoping that will be enough. I do not want to lower the invokana but I was just thinking ahead in case these strategies don’t work. It’s such a delicate balance for these high maintenance boys.