Feeding beet pulp

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The only difference between the human product and compounded is the compounded is more concentrated. The human product is not compounded and available anywhere.

Anette

Hi Dr.Kellon, I will work on getting a case study up for Superman. His teeth were done a couple months ago so should be good. currently he is on pasture and not getting any hay. The vet's office said that the company that compounds the THR doesn't ship to N.C ,maybe that means human hospitals don't have it either? I can ask about it if we don't see improvement with what we're doing .
Thank you for your help
--
Anette P and Jaywalker
Boomer, NC

Anette

I need to get a case study done for him, he's been tested twice.First time about three years ago,second time this year. He is 20 now. Don't have a current weight but he should be 900-1,000. He is on pasture and gets salt,garlic,D.E, and Formula 707 Daily Essentials. He hasn't been ridden but twice between this year and last until this last two weeks and that was only at a walk for an hour or so three times so he's not working hard.
Yes I asked my vet about doing the TRH test to see if it gave a different result.
--
Anette P and Jaywalker
Boomer, NC
Sep.9 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anette%20and%20Jaywalker

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

It's not about "liking" oats. We have exercising EMS horses getting oats It's about whether they are safe for the horse. Your insulin result in 2019 was borderline if he had been fed, positive if fasted. What is it now? How much hay does he get? How are his teeth? There must be some mistake about the TRH. Your vet can pick up a vial at any human hospital pharmacy although it's not as concentrated as the compounded products. His 2019 ACTH was very upper level of reference range.

Hi Anette,

Without a case history it's going to be difficult to answer any questions about Superman.  Loss of weight and topline does indicate PPID; but what was his actual test result?  When was he tested?  How old is he?  What is his current weight?  What is his ideal weight?  What is he eating besides oats and beet pulp?  The recommendation for feeding oats and beet pulp is for IR horses who are having issues maintaining weight while in work.  For a PPID horse we normally would recommend an increase in forage, not concentrates.

Did you mean that you asked your vet about the TRH stimulation test?

Anette

Hi, I've added shreded beet pulp to Superman's food. He currently is getting 2 1/2 lbs oats and 1/2lb. beet pulp. I read in the files that to gain weight they can get 3-4 lbs. I know oats aren't a liked feed here but should I decrease the oats if I increase the beet? He needs to gain weight and topline. He has been started on 1/4 pill of Parascend, Even though his test came back good he shows signs so the vet said to try that. I had asked about the THR test bit the company that make the hormone needed doesn't ship to Nc. and a trip to V.T wasn't an option.