Manganese

Kim Leitch

I received the analysis for my new hay, it is in Grits’ photo album. It is very high in manganese, 184 ppm. I searched the archives, but couldn’t find the answer to my question, can hay with high manganese be shaken, rinsed, or soaked to lower lt?
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits and Dually: IR; Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Nancy C

Hi Kim

I had had Manganese this high before. Your balancing needs to use Mn as the primary mineral.  IOW, you balance copper and zinc to the Manganese, not the Iron which is less than the Mn.

As far as I know, Mn is not lowered by rinsing in the same way Iron is.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

Kim Leitch

Thank you, Nancy, I didn’t think Mn could be removed, but hope springs eternal. I have struggled to get three of my horses to eat their minerals this past year, and they contain 400mg Cu, 1200mg Zn. I’m not sure how I’m going to get the balanced minerals into them with that much Mn.