Hypothyroidism or T3 conversion disorders in horses

Casey76

Hello,

Tartine’s latest blood tests have returned a lower than LLN T3, with mid-range T4.  Lab notes that primary hypothyroidism in horses is almost unheard of, and is more likely to be related to non-thyroid illness (Euthyroid sick syndrome); but have recommended a TRH test if I want to pursue this further.

Is there anything else I should be testing for? (ESR, CRP, other inflammatory markers?) Other than EMS and PSSM, she doesn’t really fit the profile for ESS.  She isn’t starved (sadly quite the opposite and we are having a devil of a time getting weight off her), doesn’t have chronic infections, is well supplemented with zinc, copper and selenium (bloods show selenium levels to be perfectly adequate)

Updated case history with all blood tests uploaded today.  Still waiting for the xrays to come from the vet
--
Katrina

Mar 2017, Sunderland, UK

Tartine Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Katrina%20and%20Tartine

Tartine Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4725

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I agree this is most likely non-thyroidal illness. Not  sure why you think she doesn't fit an EMS profile. The elevated insulin and easy weight gain certainly fit. Chronic infections can be an issue with PPID.

Casey76

Sorry, Dr Kellon, I mean that she doesn’t really fit the profile for Euthyroid Sick Syndrome.

She does have EMS.  She doesn’t have PPID
--
Katrina

Mar 2017, Sunderland, UK

Tartine Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Katrina%20and%20Tartine

Tartine Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4725

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Euthyroid sick can happen with an chronic condition, including EMS. It's primarily something picked up on lab work rather than clinical signs.