Summer Temps

nikkibob1994@...

Has anyone else noticed an increase of strength  in digital pulse (not a quickening) during the heat of summer when no other circumstances for the horse has changed?
--
Nikkibob
Wisconsin, Sept 2018

Yes.  Hot temperatures can increase the strength of the digital pulses because the blood vessels in the extremities dilate. They won't be pounding as in laminitis, just easier to feel.

nikkibob1994@...

Whew, thank you, i was beginning to tear my hair out trying to figure out what he was getting into for the third summer in a row!! I even blamed the neighbour's kids for sneaking him something!!!
--
Nikkibob
Wisconsin, Sept 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nikki%20and%20Darby

Deb Walker

Thanks for that explanation Dr. Kellon. I have often wondered the same thing myself...barn temps have been in the 90's to 100's and even with 2 fans running pretty much non-stop, it's still just hot air.

Nikki - One thing that really helps Scotty in our June heat wave is misting him with hose water. Not drenching, just a light mist to help the fan air cool him.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History: