Flame summer issues

Flame started having his “summer issues” today. I noticed that he’s been having a hard time cooling off & recovering from our normal light rides this week. Today when I went to get him out of his pen he was breathing hard & ribs heaving but not sweating. (He usually sweats when I lunge or ride him.) I put him in the cross ties & took his temp which was 100.9. I rinsed him off with cool water & put him in front of a fan. He is now switched to a stall with a fan rather than his outside shaded pen (probably for the rest of the summer). He’s done this sporadically over the summers but it seems to be happening more consistently. I just titrated him up to his fall dose of Pergolide (5mg) on 7/5 & I am waiting 3 weeks to have his ACTH, insulin & glucose tested. I though if I got on titrating him earlier this summer that we could possibly avoid this- it obviously didn’t work. This week he also stopped eating his Timothy Balance Cubes & his beet pulp. I’m now leaning towards possibly a form of anhydrosis since he does sweat when working but not during these heavy breathing & rib heaving episodes. Should I do a terbutaline test or is it contraindicated for PPID & EMS/IR horses? Are there any drugs or supplements that I can give? Do the Equiwinner Patches work? Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

--
Beth & Flame dx 2013 & Diana dx 2020

NV Oct 2013

Flame Case History

Flame Pictures

Diana Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Beth%20and%20Diana

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

It's odd that he would sweat while working but not at other times if this is anhydrosis. The terbutaline test would be safe and I'd have that done along with a lung exam.

Equiwinner patches do not work. Their whole sales pitch is complete nonsense.

Thank you Dr. Kellon. I figured those were big claims for the Equiwinner patches. Do any of the supplements like One AC work? What sugar free electrolytes does everyone use? Thanks in advance.