Blood work and discouraged Insulin remains high

Cheryl Oickle

Hi Everyone

Had Jewels yearly blood work done and her ACTH and glucose are in the LOW range of normal. Her insulin is double the high normal at 98,0 uIU perL with normal at 10-40  I will update case history in the next day or so. Actually nothing has changed and she remains tightly controlled on dry lot ECIR diet and 3 mg compounded pergolide daily.  I continue to exercise her to 100 miles a MONTH and her body score is a 5. No clinical evidence of any sort.
The vet is now considering Insulin Wise as an augment.
Any thoughts.  I am at wits end as she has never looked better or managed as tightly.
--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

Exercise is highly protective although insulin usually goes lower than that. When had she been worked last before the blood was taken? Can you keep up the exercise all winter? As for InsulinWise, our members have not found it useful and the research wasn't very exciting either https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/249832?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,insulinwise+%2B+eleanor,20,2,0,29018987 . If you do try it, make sure you understand the details of the money back guarantee and don't wait longer than one container-worth of doses to recheck.

Cheryl Oickle

Thanks for the feedback Dr. Kellon. She actually had 4 days off before bloodwork was drawn. Would that affect the numbers if she is that brittle? Generally speaking she never gets this much time off.
Yes she gets almost that much work all winter barring torrential rain on the wet coast.
Cheryl and Jewel

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

Good question about the 4 days! As often happens, the answer is - not sure. Metabolic adaptations in muscle generally persist for about a month after exercise starts but the "glucose hunger" that muscle has after exercise, which does not require insulin, is gone by about 24 hours.  I guess the answer is it might have had an effect but I don't know how much. I can tell you that when IR horses suddenly stop exercise they can become actively laminitic within 2 to 4 weeks.

Cheryl Oickle

Thanks again Dr. Kellon. I am actually going to pay the price and have her insulin redrawn at the end of the month.  .....stay tuned.
Cheryl

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018