When to retest insulin?

Sharon Stokesbary

Thank you Kirsten. I think Rose has already lost some weight with the changes I've made. Her starting weight was from a scale at the vet and now I'm using a weight tape so not sure exactly but she is starting to look better. Tape shows 50 lbs but i don't think it's that much yet. The vet does not want to look at using metformin at this point and suggested waiting the six weeks first to retest her insulin and then discuss metformin. I understand a better weight would probably get her insulin lower but I was thinking the >200 insulin meant it was somewhat urgent to lower it.

She is doing well and not showing lameness now. She had some body work done last weekend (Masterson Technique) and she left that appt without the odd gait she'd developed stepping short on the right and she is still good as of today. So things are looking up. :-)
--
Sharon S (2009)
Corvallis MT

Kirsten Rasmussen

There are also some studies that show that reducing weight to normal has a significant effect on reducing insulin.  So I would really work on getting Rose's BCS down to a 5 or 4.5.  Soaking hay will help but you may need to reduce her hay intake as well.  I would start with removing 0.5 lb/day and see if she starts to slowly lose weight.  If that's not having any effect, or if her weight loss stalls, reduce by another 0.5lbs.  You might have to go as low as 15 lbs a day to get her down to a BSC of 5 (that's what my non-exercising 15.1 HH Paso Fino gets, plus 0.75 lbs carrier for supplement, and he is about 900 lbs with a BCS of 4.5).  But just work your way down slowly.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Sharon,

I always give it 1-2 weeks after any diet change before checking insulin.  I understand that insulin will continue to go down over time, but the biggest drop is seen almost immediately, as per the 2 posts by Dr Kellon that I quoted below.

Diet changes take effect within 1 or 2 days, although insulin may continue to improve over time.

AND

The insulin response is a function of both the composition of the meal and the insulin sensitivity/glucose tolerance of the individual. A fit racehorse will respond very differently from an IR pony. The IR pony will show different insulins with different meals but insulin sensitivity may improve over time when the load is kept low. For example, insulin receptors that becoming internalized after chronic exposure to high insulin may be released again over time so insulin response on day 1 of the new diet is different from insulin response after a few weeks.--Eleanor in PA

Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Sharon Stokesbary

How much time is needed on soaked hay before retesting insulin? My vet thought 6 to 8 weeks. Is waiting that long going to make a difference? Rose's insulin was >200 on her initial screening on 9% sugar/starch and no pasture.