Does a low carb, low sugar diet help with relaxation

Barbara Rosensteel

I have a related question to yours asking if a low sugar diet helps with relaxation:  Does the naturally occurring sugars in forage, consumed in the typical amounts of a non-IR horse on pasture,  cause chronic inflammation?  If so, then is it likely that  most horses that are kept on pasture for all or part of each day, suffering with chronic low-level inflammation?
--
Barbara Rosensteel

Sept 2007, Cookeville TN

Sherry Morse

Hi Jennifer,

You are correct, steaming is not the same as soaking.  To reduce sugars you need to soak. In the winter many people soak and use coolers to keep the hay from freezing but a lot of horses like haycicles.

Jennifer Green

Hi Trisha,

I feel like this will be us. We may be soaking for the long haul since I like how he can relax a purine but and isn’t so on edge. It seems like a better head space god him to be in and a better quality of life.

For winter what do you do? He lives outside. I want to get a game plan together in case we need to keep this up. And just to confirm hay steaming is not the same as hay soaking right?

Thanks!!
--
J.Green
MA, USA

Jennifer Green

I think that tired that wrong. When I look bank to that MY photo, he looks puffy every where. Now he just looks pudgy but not swollen. Medically when you see them all puffy,  what causes that?
--
J.Green
MA, USA
2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Fergus%20Case%20History
CaseHistory@ECIR.groups.io | Album

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Jennifer,

It's probably because you saw him every day that you didn't notice...  All that exercise he gets has probably kept him sound, too.  Soaking hay can have a dramatic effect, not only on insulin but also on physical appearance.  I can see that if he has less excess calories in his diet, his energy levels might drop a bit with the reduction in calories caused by soaking hay.  It will help with his weight loss, too, but you might want to check that the combined weight of hay and carrier he is getting is conducive to weight loss.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Trisha DePietro

Hi Jennifer.  So, Here's the thing about soaking hay....Yes- if your hay tests less than 10% sugar and starch combined- according to theory you would not have to soak. HOWEVER- say for example, your hay comes in at 8-9% sugar and starch combined....you could feed it out without soaking...BUT you have to watch your horse---some horses need even lower like 6-7%  or  5%- it just depends on your horse and what his trigger is..so you might have to still soak to get that sugar number down. In the case of Ferg, I would watch his attitude as one of your markers--- and add it to your list of observable areas ie puffy eye sockets, crest, sheath, shoulder fat pads, tail fat pads, etc.... Hope this helps....:)
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Jennifer Green

Hi Lorna,

There’s s photo in his case history from May at the start of the emergency fury. His sheath wasn’t swollen but when I look at photos between now  and then EVERYTHING else looks swollen to me now. I saw him every day and I’m kind of disheartened that I didn’t notice at at times. I knew genetically, he could have issues which is why I had been running  the  test every year. But how not have seen it, ugh ?? I feel like we were 5 seconds from founder.
--
J.Green
MA, USA
2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Fergus%20Case%20History
CaseHistory@ECIR.groups.io | Album

Lorna Cane

Hi Jennifer,

His March insulin numbers  are extremely high.
I don't know what else you are feeding, but definitely removing sugars from his hay,by soaking, can affect him. Does he have a swollen sheath? Bulges above his eyes? Fat pads on body?
When I began to soak hay for my IR paint pony years ago,I noticed a decrease in the size of his sheath with 3 days.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Jennifer Green

Here’s my nightly question. Ever since I started soaking Ferg’s hay, I’ve noticed he’s been less tense and less reactive under saddle. He seems generally less edgy. He’s a pony with a LOT of go and he can go and go, so I have to admit, I’m kind of enjoying where we’re at these days. It’s like all the power without the chaos. He’s still has lots of energy, but its much more easily managed. Others have noticed this change too. So my questions are 1) am I am imagining this 2)if I test his hay and it turns out it doesn’t need to be soaked after all, will he go back to the way he was; could the sugar have been hyping him up like it does with some kids?

Thanks!!