History uploaded

Kimberly Simmons

I am sorry it took me so long to respond to the messages in this thread. Thank you both very much! I actually contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever and was not feeling well at all. We did build Eclipse a small dry Paddock where she lives at night and she is muzzled during the day. She has been started on pergolide and that is about as far as I've gotten this far. I will try to get the rest of the information requested as soon as possible.
If anything is weird in this post I apologize, I get migraines from looking at screens for too long and so I am using speech to text. Which can be weird.
--
Kimberly
NH

Sherry Morse

Hi Kimberly,

You indicate in your CH that Eclipse is overweight, but not with an actual number - can you put a weight tape on her and get an estimate on her weight or use the weight calculator to do that?  Once you have an actual weight on her you can then tighten up her diet appropriately.

Stressed grass can be an very bad for an IR horse and I would pull her off of that immediately.  Why is she getting grain at this point in time if she's overweight? What type of balancer are you using? Have you started her on Prascend or pergolide given her ACTH result?

Hi Kimberly,

I’m sending you our welcome to new group members.  I know you’ve been a member for quite awhile but it’s been a long time since you posted and we occasionally change the information included.

I looked through your case history and find your most recent test values but not any earlier ones indicating she’s been normal.  If you could upload those as well, that would be helpful.

With her recent insulin test value, I would not let her have any grass, even short, and I’d soak her hay until your hay test is done, confirming that the hay is safe for her unsoaked.  This described under the Emergency
diet, which would benefit her until you have more details about the hay.  She should have no grain at all.  If you need something to serve with her supplements, use a small amount of rinsed, soaked and rinsed beet pulp, soy hull pellets, Stabul 1 or timothy balance cubes from Triple Crown or Ontario Dehy.  As she is apparently fat, there’s no need to feed her anything extra.

As a refresher, please test the hay using wet chemistry techniques.  At a minimum, you want to know what the ESC and starch are but assessing minerals will help you choose a product to balance her hay appropriately or have a balancing expert guide you with what needs to be added.

She is positive for PPID.  Normal would be in the upper teens to low twenties so she would benefit from being started on pergolide.  You don’t include her age in the case history but I would guess from your earlier posts that it would not be surprising to find she was PPID due to her age.

If the changes are due to drought, it would be because she is on pasture and the grass is stressed.  Taking her off pasture would eliminate that concern.  Her insulin is high enough to precipitate laminitis so you want to do everything you can to decrease it.  More tips in the welcome that follows.

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)
  • mineral balanced

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Kimberly Simmons

Edited

Hi,

I just uploaded Eclipse's case history. ALL of her numbers are up (and in the case of her T4- down) this year including her ACTH which has always been normal in the past. No hay test yet as our field is still waiting to be done. I work for an Equine Veterinarian and have been managing OK until now. Now I am worried. Could her changes have to do with the drought we were experiencing?
Eclipse gets very little grain, is muzzled during the day and locked in our front pasture at night which has very short grass. We are thinking of turning her run-in stall into her night time dry paddock (the space without grass is smaller than a round pen.

Eclipse gets about 1 lb. of Poulin carb safe a day and a 2 handfuls of Balancer per day (until we get hay and know what we need to supplement).

--

~Kimberly

July 2012, NH