Lavinia - Hoof advice needed for Dually

Kim Leitch

Lavinia,
I have posted an almost complete set of hoof pictures (somehow missed the RH lateral). I will take it later today, but with a far inferior camera.
Dually is very foot sore after every trim by the farrier, who comes every six weeks. I back his toes up from the top at the three week point between trims; this does not make him ouchy. I really don't think his hooves have improved at all over the last few years. These pictures were taken two weeks after the farrier's trim, and the foot-soreness was beginning to improve. On the fronts, the deepest point on the collateral groove is 3/4 inch, I can't even get a measurement at the apex of the frog. His hinds are better than the fronts as far as concavity is concerned.
His bloodwork looks great, and his diet is tight and balanced.
Would you be able to do some mark ups for him? My farrier will be back on August 12, or if you are too busy, he returns September 21.
Thank you so much!
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Kim,

Yes, I can get those in time for Aug 12 - thanks for the lead time. My suspicion would be that when Dually gets trimmed, his heels are being rasped down and they are already too low relative to the front half of his foot. Although he needs to get his heels backed up, it needs to be while also preserving the current vertical height. A second thought is whether his soles/frogs are being trimmed each time.

When you go to take the RH, could you also please retake the RF lateral - it was in a deep shadow and the back of the foot really isn't visible.

Thanks.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Kim Leitch

Lavinia,
I have posted RH lateral and new RF lateral. I was able to get my friend with the good camera to come out today, and I think we got rid of the shadows.
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Great, thanks Kim.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kim,

I've added mark-ups to Dually's album:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

The trim doesn't look all that bad but I believe you're right in that it hasn't progressed. It seems to be stuck with the toes still a bit too long ahead of where they need to be, heels continue to remain underrun. This is stretching the soles somewhat thin and leading to an HPA that is going to be broken back to some degree. It's good that you are doing some work between appointments, as 6 weeks is likely too long a time frame to be able to get this under control. Need to focus on shortening the toes at ground level and allowing the heels to stand up straighter so they shift further back and can support hm properly.

LF lateral: Green line is a visual for where the dorsal wall should line up - it's not a trim line. Blue area is where to bring the toe back more, so the breakover shifts back further. Orange line shows where the heels should line up. Yellow line follows the coronary band from front to back. Note how arched it is and how it really dips down and forward as it gets to the heels. This is due to the heels pulling it along with them, as they have run forward and become flattened down. As the heels stand up straighter, the coronary band will relax into a straighter line (pink line).

LF sole: Solid blue line around the front of the foot is where the foot should actually end, with the blue hashed area the excess toe length. Although it might look like you are trimming into the white line, keep in mind that when the toe runs forward, it stretches the white line and displaces it forward of its true location, so you aren't actually invading the healthy white line when you back the toe up. Orange lines at the backs of the heel buttresses are where to add a rocker to the backs of the heels, leaving the rest of the heel completely alone. Do not try to bring them back further as right now there is nothing to work with because the heels are already too low relative to the front half of the foot. You can't lower the front half of the foot because there is NO sole depth available to work with. Yellow hashes run along the leading edges of the bars, which can be lightly cleaned up of any material that is already breaking loose or crumbling away. DO NOT touch the sole at all, leave the frog as is. More info here on the why:

https://www.hoofrehab.com/HeelHeight.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/HorsesSole.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/Breakover.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/FrogTrim.html

RF lateral: This foot is a bit more upright, but still experiencing the same types of issues. Coronary band is not being distorted much as the foot isn't as flat. Green line is again a visual, not a trim lien. Blue s where to take the toe back, esp. at ground level. Orange is where the heels will eventually end up.

RF sole: Similar discussion as the LF, except that there isn't as much excess toe length here. Again, leave the sole and frog untouched so they can develop solid, calloused material.

LH lateral: Like the LF, heels are more underrun, with the HPA being broken back. Green line is again the visual while the blue area is where to take the toe back. Orange line again shows where the heels need to eventually line up. Note that the orange lines are parallel to the green lines and to the pastern angles above. Yellow line follows the arched coronary band while the pink line shows how it would look in a healthy hoof capsule.

LH sole: Similar to the fronts, except that the lateral heel has flared somewhat. Solid blue lines are where the toe and heel walls need to be brought inward, with the blue hashed areas being the flared material. Orange hashes across the backs of the heel buttresses are where to add rockers while leaving the rest of the buttress as is. Yellow hashes along the leading edges of the bars indicate to lightly clean up any crumbling, loose  material. Pink hashes are on a loose flap of frog that can be removed. Otherwise, leave the frog alone.

RH lateral: Same as the other three. Note that the coronary band runs straight from front to back (yellow line), with no arching or being pulled down and forward. Toe needs to be brought back (blue).

RH sole: Similar to the other three. Slight flaring of the lateral heel that can be brought inward to the solid blue line. front half of the foot brought back/in to solid blue line. Add rockers to the backs of the heel buttresses (orange hashes) but otherwise, leave them alone. Leave sole and frog untouched. Clean up the periople flaps over the backs of the heels. remove any crumbling, detaching bar along the yellow hashes.

He should be in boots to protect the thin soles and to help stimulate them to produce more sole. Make sure that any boots you use have more aggressive bevels added to the treads at both the toes and heels to aid with breakover on both take-offs and landings. You want to be seeing heel first landings - NEVER toe-first.