Mayonnaise for dosing

Bobbie Day

Is it safe to use Mayo or miracle whip for dosing peroglide?
I would think not but am I wrong?

--
Bobbie
Desi over the rainbow bridge 7/21

It's very high calorie but low carb. Do they like it?

Bobbie Day

Someone suggested using it on another site, I said I didn’t think it would be suitable, which they responded with “why not” (of course) I don’t think they were suggesting the horse would like it but rather the horse wouldn’t be able to spit it out. There was a wrestling it in. I wouldn’t like a mouthful of the stuff !

--
Bobbie and Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)
Utah, Nov 2019

Kind of an odd choice. I'd be more inclined to go with unsweetened yogurt but can't really say they would like that any better! If we're talking about pergolide here, it's very water soluble and you can dissolve it in 2 mL of water in a tiny 3 mL syringe then squirt that into the back of the horse's mouth very successfully.

Just want to add my 2 cents that out of everything you could use as a carrier I would think using mayo would be one of the messier options.

I use ground flax, a little water and sugar-free syrup as a carrier for syringing pergolide. Flax in water is pretty sticky and helps keep the mixture in the mouth. The syrup is unnecessary, but since  I’m using 3 unpleasant tasting Prascend to increase pergolide dose quickly, it makes daily syringing easy.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

I've known quite a few endurance riders who used yogurt as a carrier for electrolytes. You just need to be sure the medication doesn't get wasted.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album Deceased

Bobbie Day

Great idea Cass,
I can’t imagine getting a mouth full of Mayo yuck!
Of course I wasn’t very popular for suggesting that there were better options.
I guess I just need to keep my mouth shut and keep scrolling!
I always ask why they’re not asking here.
Oh well
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Thank goodness that was never a issue for us.

--
Bobbie and Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)
Utah, Nov 2019
NRC Plus 2020 , NAT , C&IR March 2021

Bobbie Day

Thanks Sherry
I can think of better ways for sure. I had never ever heard of using this for medication.
Uggg

--
Bobbie and Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)
Utah, Nov 2019
NRC Plus 2020 , NAT , C&IR March 2021

Another option if you need more texture than water is baby food - peas, carrots, squash.

Interesting conversation. We have a wonderful compounding pharmacy here in Southern Oregon, with "tiny tabs" of peppermint and apple flavorings. These are about the size of a half of your baby pinkie fingernail. Conki fought me with these for two months. I finally figured out that I was paying TWICE the dollar amount for a 30-day supply (equal to Prascend) and have moved over to the Arizona pharmacy, where I'm paying $42 for a 2 mg tab for 30 days.

Huh. Practically gobbles them down. Unflavored. I core a tiny carrot with a metal straw, or a wedge of apple, and follow up with a few more doses of plain apple, carrot, and FLIX cookies. Voila, he's chomping it all right down. I actually think it's been the peppermint flavoring that put him off.

--
Jannalee Smithey, EDO
Talent, Oregon

Ann Conn

Just a note on dosing pergolide capsules. When I encountered problems recently with my usual way of giving his pergolide capsules, I googled information about sugar content in fruits. Turned out watermelon is much lower in sugar than apples and/or carrots. Being in Texas, we have watermelon readily available, so now I carve a little hole in a small piece of rind with slight watermelon left on and insert capsule at last minute before offering it to him which he gobbles up. And I can watch to make sure the capsule doesn't fall out.
Ann Conn
Azeem 2016
Central Texas

Deb Walker

Enjoying reading everyone's creative ideas. For me...any carrier AT ALL that was considered a treat worked for only a very SHORT time. Even months after whatever I used, Scotty refused to take a "treat" from me. He gets the tiny little pergolide capsules, so I can't imagine there is a negative flavor factor. So, I now stand on his side (sometimes he tries to run away but it doesn't work) put his chin on my shoulder to raise his head as much as possible, with my left hand over his nose, and shove the capsule in the right side of his mouth, then clamp my hands over the front of his mouth to prevent spitting out. If I see the capsule on his tongue, I just slide it back with my fingers. I suppose this is easier when your horse has no back teeth :) :) :) He still manages to spit it out, and I just pick it back up and shove it back in. I hug him and pet his nose until I hear him swallow.

Janalee mentioned peppermint flavoring above. The one thing I discovered from Day 1 of owning Scotty is that he does not like peppermint.

--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History: