CH Update

Anette

Hello , I have updated Superman's CH, but the amount of oats should be 3 lbs. Once it was a PDF I couldn't fix it but it will be next time. He is now getting a PM feeding as he does not look like he's put on any weight. There is a recent picture in his album. The hay has been balanced and he has been started on the supplements recommended by Dr.K except for the Poly Zinc which is on the way. As of right now my plan is to increase his PM feeding over the next few weeks and see if that helps. Any thoughts are appreciated.
--
Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC

Hi Annette,

Have you had any bloodwork done on him (CBC) to make sure there's nothing amiss that way?  When was the last time his teeth were checked?  Are you weighing the hay he's eating?  If so, do you know how much he's eating daily in addition to the pasture?

Finally, could you post a picture of him from the side so we can compare that to his previous pictures?

Anette

No,he hasn't had any other bloodwork done. his teeth were done earlier in the year. The  hay isn't weighed ,he's in the pasture with another horse so can't know exactly how much he's eating. I'll ask for a better picture but it's hard because I am doing this from afar and have to depend on others.
Jaywalker had the same issue, so I want to make sure I'm feeding Superman properly. Before this he was getting fed 2x's a day but when he was moved to the pasture he was weaned off that (2019) and appeared to be maintain with 1 feeding a day but as of 2020 it changed. He wasn't getting parascend until this year.
--
Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC
Sep.9 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anette%20and%20Jaywalker

Hi Anette,

At the most basic level he's older and depending on pasture for complete nutrition may not be the best option for him so he may simply need more calories than he's current taking in.

If he were mine I would review Dr. Jaini's weight loss checklist: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/240588 and make sure all those points have been addressed but if simply increasing his calorie intake has not resulted in any weight gain my first thought would be to bump his Prascend dosage up, even if you don't test him right now.  The reason for doing a CBC is to make sure there's nothing else going on that could be contributing to his weight loss.

Anette

Thank you, for that link and I will check it out. I am thinking the same thing about his calorie intake,that's why he will be getting two feedings now. He was getting 2 1/2 lbs oats 2x a day before but now he is getting beet pulp along with the oats.