2 Hay test results #photo-notice

Tina Bachmann

Please take a look at 2 Hay sample results i received today
--
Tina Bachmann in VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tina%20and%20Griffin

Sherry Morse

Hi Tina,

It looks like the same file was uploaded twice - can you check please?

I thought the same, Sherry but it's a two page PDF.

Both hays have almost identical percentages of starch, 1.3-1.4%. One has lower ESC, and for a pony with a history of laminitis, that's the one I'd use if he were mine --- John Houser Farm Orchard Grass #2 with ESC of 4.7% ESC.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Tina Bachmann

Thanks Sherry and Cass for taking a look at these samples. Now my question is since I am trying to get away from soaking is the one Cass suggestion ok to feed without soaking? Do I need to add more tests? Also do I then ask for help in adding supplements the hay is missing? I need 125 bales so I want to make sure I get the right one. I will also post one more hay analysis next week when I get it back. Thanks

--
Tina Bachmann in VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tina%20and%20Griffin

Sherry Morse

Hi Tina,

That's low enough that you should be ok to feed it without soaking.  If you want help balancing this hay please refer to the list of people in the Diet Balancing folder. https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing is the main folder and list is here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing/HAY%20BALANCING-1.pdf

Tina Bachmann

Yes I will contact someone for hay balancing. My veterinarian said although my tests look good I really need to know DE, Crude Protein, ADF and NDF levels. Your input on that please.

--
Tina Bachmann in VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tina%20and%20Griffin

Hi Tina,
In order to balance the hay, you need more results.  I’m not sure if you copied the entire report.  The report suggests it’s a #103 but I don’t find anything like that on the E-A site.  Maybe that’s not the test number?  It looks like you might have the results of the carb package, which is #644.  Do you know what test you requested?
If the hay is still in their hands, they should still be able to run the Trainer’s Pack #603, which gives you the information you need to balance minerals.  This will also provide the vet with the information desired.  Confusing because the test you ran a week or so ago on a different sample was ostensibly the same test 103 but it did include the information the vet asked about.  That’s what made me wonder if you’d posted the entire results.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Penny Duthie

--
Penny Duthie
Grant, Florida

Penny Duthie

What is the difference between the 603 trainer hay results and the 601. If I remembered correctly they both tested the same the 601 even had one or two xtra things tested. Thanks
--
Penny Duthie
Grant, Florida

Tina Bachmann

It’s the 644 carb pack. I did that test since I had 3 hays to test. I do not know why all my tests have that lab description 103 on there. I will ask when I call them what 103 is. What tests would I need to add?

--
Tina Bachmann in VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tina%20and%20Griffin

Lavinia Fiscaletti

The lab description number has nothing to do with which test was run.

It seems to be an code to describe what the sample was, i.e.103 may mean hay, as all the hays I've tested have that code, while other things have had other codes.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Thanks, Lavinia.  It didn't make a lot of sense because there was no test with that number but I wish they would put the testing package they used on the analysis report.

Tina, the test you need is the #603 Trainer Pack.  It makes perfect sense to do the testing you did when considering several hays.  You now only need the #603 on one hay, rather than all three.  The #603 will give you the information you need to balance the hay and to report to the vet.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Penny, the 601 is done with near infrared spectroscopy (NIR), rather than wet chemistry (603) and isn't as accurate.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Tina Bachmann

I did call and ask what the 103 means and she said it was for Hay. They don’t put the number of the test which I think they should. I am going to get the 3 rd test result next week and then add on to get more results on the one I think is best for Griffin. I only did the carb pack for now.

--
Tina Bachmann in VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tina%20and%20Griffin

Tina Bachmann

603 trainer includes crude protein, NFC and all minerals.
644 Carb pack only ESC, and WSC
I called and asked why they have 103 in Lab Desc. And that is the code for testing HAY
I am surprised they don’t have the test number anywhere on there. That would sure help.