Fergus Crest Question

Jennifer Green

Took a photo today in great light. He had just had a shower after a humid ride so he is wet. I think we’re making slow but steady progress and I’m very pleased with how he looks but I do realize there’s still work to be done. Energy level has been great since the addition of flax (yay!). We’ve got some pep back without the anxious edginess.

Do you think there’s more fat to come off his crest based on today’s progress photo? I for sure think there’s more to come off the belly, but I’m torn on crest expectations. I don’t think he’ll ever have a thin neck because it appears he’s some sort of draft pony cross, but then I wonder if by saying that it’s just me making up excuses (again) to justify the situation.

--
J.Green
MA, USA

Wow, the flax made the difference?  Good to know.

I think he could still stand to lose a few more pounds.  Do you have a sense he has ribs under there when the light is right?  I’m not sure you can specifically take it off his crest without affecting the rest of his body unless his weight is already low.  He is looking good though.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

I agree with Martha. You did a good job with the photos and they will be really helpful for tracking Fergus' progress. This one in particular is an excellent template for tracking changes in his BCS. https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/photo/266236/3287047?p=Created,,,50,2,0,0   There's more weight to come off. The crest can be very hard to reduce, and some equines don't get rid of it completely.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Jennifer Green

I can feel ribs finally, but I still have to press in to feel them. I also think he should be able to loose some off of his lower belly and the other place I still really notice it is the top of his butt. So I totally agree, still some weight to go, but slowly we seem to be getting there. But I am pleased with how far he’s come since May. He’s felt amazing under saddle too, which is an extra bonus!!

--
J.Green
MA, USA
2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Fergus%20Case%20History
CaseHistory@ECIR.groups.io | Album

Joy V

I don't have an answer, but I had to say, Fergus is SO STINKING CUTE.  I think he's looking good.

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

snowman0157@...

Keep up the good work.... the Crest is stubborn in my experience;  Our Gelding was very obese and has lost 250+ lbs and is around his proper weight at this point, but he still has a "bit' of a crest.  Our vet told us he will not ever lose all of it, but we were told to monitor it for hardness as that is a bad thing; soft is better.  FWIW, I've had a few non-horse people complement 'that strong neck' - LOL.    Good Luck.
--
Joe S. in TX 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Joe%20and%20Shiloh