Hay analysis--which numbers to use

Julie Davie

My vet said to simply look at the NFS and to keep it at 12 or lower.  My friend uses ESC and starch less than ten or WSC, ESC and starch less than 20.  Just looking at the one number (NFS) is sure simpler but . . . who's right.  I tried to research this on the site but didn't find anything real current.  Thank you.
--
Julie D OR 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Julie%20and%20Porter

Nancy C

Hi Julie

After two decades ECIR says....ESC and Starch
--
Nancy C in NH

Targeted release of recordings of the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference -- end of August.

Julie Davie

It sounds like my vet is doing it the old way.  I just was googling to see what the NFC number included and found this info on Iowa State U web site (https://www.extension.iastate.edu/equine/how-are-sugars-and-starch-measured-hay):

Non Fiber Carbohydrates (NFC) - This is a calculated (as opposed to an analyzed or measured value) estimate of all carbohydrates not in neutral detergent fiber (NDF). NFC = 100 - crude protein% - NDF% - ash% - crude fat%. Prior to the routine availability of WSC, ESC and starch analyses, it was commonly reported as an estimate of feed carbohydrates. However, as a calculated value, it will carry all of the errors of the other measurements. Use WSC, ESC and starch when available to evaluate carbohydrate levels in the diet.
--
Julie D OR 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Julie%20and%20Porter

Lorna Cane

And here we recommend ESC and Starch.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

We actually never used NFC because it also includes things like indigestible plant sugars. Before ESC was more available we were using NSC which is WSC + starch but since WSC includes fructan and fructan doesn't increase insulin, we use ESC + starch.

With cows it's different because they will ferment all of those complex carbs in their rumens.

Trisha DePietro

Hi Julie...I know its tempting to take the easier path of "looking at one number" but adding the ESC and starch together and ensuring your hay is less than 10% is so key to what works for these horses. If you spend a minute now to add the two numbers together- and ensure your hay is less than 10% === it will save you countless hours of worry, tears, and frustration. Its one of the foundation pieces that set you and your horse up for success....:)
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018