Hoffman's BalanceIR Ration question for Sherry

Jennifer Green

Ive learned rice bran should be avoided but the other night I looked at my Cal Trace Plus (which I thought was ok to feed) and it has rice bran in it! I’m feeling concerned and confused.
--
J.Green
MA, USA

Maxine McArthur

Hi Jennifer
Not Sherry, but if Fergus is doing well on the Cal Trace Plus (no footiness etc), I would not worry too much about the rice bran in it. If he were a very sensitive IR horse, maybe I would remove it from the diet, but the recommended dose (for a 1000 lb horse) is 4 ounces (112g), and although they do not state the amount of rice bran, the supplement also contains yeast, so even if the rice bran is half of the dose, the actual amount is quite small. The Hoffmans feed that Sherry cautioned against is supposed to be fed in kilogram amounts, which is a different case to the Cal Trace Plus and definitely would not be a good idea to feed to an IR horse.
However, we do suggest targeted supplementation of minerals if at all possible, as then you can make sure he is getting the minerals deficient in his hay and nothing else that might be unnecessary (such as the rice bran). There are some other  generic mineral supplements in the group Files that are safe for IR horses, so you could switch to one of those if you are concerned--the Cal Trace Plus is also on that list. Acceptable Ration Balancers.pdf (groups.io)

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Nancy C

HI All

The issue with Rice Bran is the Omega 3 and 6 ratios. Understanding how much is being fed is critical. As  pointed out, a few ounces of CA trace vs multiple kg of a given feed will make a big difference, As it happens we have a handy guide to help see how omegas differ in various products and given amounts.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/5%20Core%20Diet/Omega%203%20and%20Omega%206/FlaxBOSSpeasCHIAhemp.pdf

Based on previous conversations here, if you contact CA Trace, I am 99.99% certain that they will share how much Rice Bran is in their serving amount so you can calculate.

Make sure you are feeding flax as recommended.

--
Nancy C in NH

Targeted release of recordings of the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference -- end of August.

Jennifer Green

Thanks Maxine,

Just got new hay yesterday. I’m going to collect samples today for a new hay test and then have the new hay balanced. I’m on the tail end of the CA Trace Plus so with all the new info, it could be a good tune to make changes. My main concern is that Fergus can be picky and making a change that doesn’t taste as good or tastes different might be a challenge.  Do picky eaters tend to like the Madbarn products?

The last hay we had needed maganese added, so Madbarn it might be a good option. The hay is from eastern Canada, so it might balance better with the Canadian products.

Fergus has not been footy at all, but I really do just want to get it right in a way that he’s willing to eat it. If rice bran has the potential to cause problems, I’d rather try to move to something less risky. If this pony ever founders, I’ll at least be able to say I tried my very very best.
--
J.Green
MA, USA
2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Fergus%20Case%20History
CaseHistory@ECIR.groups.io | Album

Lorna Cane

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 05:39 AM, Jennifer Green wrote:
The hay is from eastern Canada, so it might balance better with the Canadian products.
Hi Jennifer,

Don't worry about this. The hay test results will determine what is needed to balance it. I think you'll find that it matters not whether said products are from Canada or the US., as long as they provide what the balancing calculations call for.
Madbarn is, indeed, a good (Canadian) company ,though.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Laura H

Mad Barn HAS said that their products were made based on a variety of samples of Ontario hay. I find picky eaters are fine with the Omneity Premix but you won't have good luck with Amino Trace. I have an entire barn on Omneity.
--
Laura Heit - Ontario 2021

Kirsten Rasmussen

Some people have reported their horses do not like Mad Barn Amino Trace+.  Even my "hoover" hesitated the first time I mixed it in to his beet pulp, but only once and now he loves it.  They do have a smaller size you can try if you want to test it out, if it turns out that is the supplement that is the best commercial match for your hay.  They also do custom supplements but some horses don't care for granular mixes, and prefer pellets like the AT+.  The AT+ also does a good job of balancing the hays I've bought out west, too!  :)

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History