Updated photos - Lavinia can you comments on today’s trim?

Rita Chavez

Hello everyone,
Today marks 90-days since Stetson’s founder and IR diagnosis. He continues to improve on the diet and seems stabilized as far as weight loss, right at 1005 lbs today. His crest refuses to slim down, though. I doubt I’ll be able to get more off him until he’s cleared for riding again (Feb/Mar 2022). Has anyone had a stubborn crest and did more exercise help? He’s moving freely at all gaits at liberty, no problem making tight turns, and not showing any signs of ouchy feet. Since starting him on Jiaogulan I have noticed a lot of hoof growth. Boy, that stuff works! I’m rasping his feet every week now. But I’m concerned about the bulge on both front soles, the bruised area directly under P3. Oh God help me, but it looks like it wants to break through!

Lavinia, if you have a moment could you please take a look and comment? I’m focused on getting those toes tightened up, but getting closer to that scary bruised bulge.

Thank you!
--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Sherry Morse

Hi Rita,

Is his crest firm or squishy?  He is looking SO much better in the picture you posted today.  His toes are quite long on both front feet but I'll leave it to Lavinia to give you specific trim information.  The one comment I have with regard to that is that if you are trimming sole at all he didn't have any to spare so it should be left alone.

Edited

Hi Rita,
I posted a note to you on another thread and hoped you’d see it but we must have been posting about the same time.  I’m copying it here as this is where it belongs.

 Here’s a link to my post and here’s what I said -

Hi Rita,I saw that you were posting in your album today and so I took a look.  He looks pretty chipper!  Then I took a look at his case history, which left me with some questions.  Can you explain the large drop in insulin in a month’s time?  Do you think the high reading was provoked by something unusual?  Have you spoken to your vet about trying some pergolide?  His ACTH was above what we consider normal for that time of year.  You could test him now to see how high his fall rise value increases.  That might help for next year.  You could instead do a TRH-stim test next spring.--
Martha in Vermont
 --
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Rita,

You're making progress, for sure, but the toes need to come back quite a bit more - RF more than the LF. Look at the angle of the new growth on the LF as it's coming in under the coronary band - that's the angle that the dorsal wall needs to be at all the way down to the ground.

Make sure to take the walls out of ground contact (RF lateral is the most obvious) until all of the damaged material has had a chance to grow out and get the bevel onto the sole at the toes, rather than leaving the toes flat on the ground.

And as Sherry mentioned, make sure not to touch any of the sole behind the long toes AT ALL.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Trisha DePietro

Rita- your doing a great job- he looks great in his pic update! Crest is much better! Let us know if its soft and squishy or hard and lumpy....:)
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Rita Chavez

Hi Sherry, thank you. His crest is much softer that in June. It has gone down a little. But I can’t call it “squishy”. I’m not taking anything off his soles. Just rasping hoof walls to re-level them and keep about 1/4” all around for some support. We’re very lucky to have soft sand where we live and it cups his feet. I’m diligently working on those toes! My instinct is to go slowly, remove a bit more each week and watch how he’s moving. I have now reached the white line on both front toes and removed about an inch so far. Honestly I’m looking forward to new rads!

--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA
June 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Rita Chavez

Many thanks, Lavinia! No ma’am, not touching any sole. I’ll take more toe off each week for sure and post more progress pics next month. I see that high wall on RF now and will address it tonight. So, I don’t need to worry about that blood-stained bulge under P3? It’s very hard to the touch, not spongy or loose at all.

My sincerest gratitude to this entire group!!! I don’t know where we’d be now if I hadn’t found ya’ll. I’m learning so much here every day. You saved my horse with REAL helpful information. Thank you, thank you.

--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA
June 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Rita Chavez

Hi Trisha, thanks! His attitude is SO much better. Fixing his diet, losing a lot of weight and getting his feet back on game has been nothing but positive for him. He’s back to his perky, playful self!

His crest is smaller, softer, but not squishy. I’m guessing more exercise with riding will take care of that. Hand walking only does so much and his stride is bigger than mine LOL.

--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA
June 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Sherry Morse

Hi Rita,

Sometimes slower is not always better with regard to removing toe because you're not changing the trim so much as just maintaining it where it is (even though you think you're moving it back).  You might want to look at the rather dramatic changes in Strawberry's trim that were needed to get some inspiration on that: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=267559