seasonal rise complications part two- Laminitis?

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Trisha,

Her latest insulin is nowhere near high enough to be causing laminitis, and her ACTH is excellent so I think you can rule out that possibility and focus instead on her trim and the arthritic changes.  She has very thin soles, so that can be a source of pain on its own and that us a hood reason to keep her in well padded boots if you're not already.  But I would start trying some of the pain relief suggestions from Sherry, and maybe ask Lavinia how to optimize Dolly's trim.  With arthritic changes, keeping the trim very tight can help a lot with minimizing pain.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Trisha DePietro

she does seem more comfortable in the styrofoam pads taped to her feet, but still not totally comfortable...What would be her trigger if this is laminitis superimposed onto arthritic joints...I feel like I can help the arthritis, but if I don't know the trigger for the laminitic "look" she has...I can't get to the cause of the issue and correct it. Her insulin is the best its ever been and her ACTH  is stable and unchanged since May 2021. She is eating fine, drinking and eliminating just fine.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Sherry Morse

Hi Trisha,

You might want to consider Mov-Ease, Phyto-Quench, Devil's Claw or HA to help with the arthritis as those are some pretty significant changes IMO. Is she better in boots than without them?

Trisha DePietro

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Pain%20Medication%20and%20Alternatives/DOXYCYCLINE%20FOR%20JOINTS.pdf--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos
Primary Responder

Trisha DePietro

Thanks Kirsten. Since my post I have added her lateral xrays to her photo album...I see arthritis...low ringbone? No bloodwork results yet.  The end of the short pastern as it is seated into the coffin bone looks  a little strange to me...is it technique or actual joint changes?  This is the first time I have xrayed her feet despite numerous "lameness" evals over the years...Lyme titers are always "negative". Just finished reading Dr. Kellons article on the use of low dose doxy on joint pain in horses...very interesting...it was written awhile ago...so not sure if anything has changed on that front?  As I think about what would be the best pain relief in her scenario? Icing her pasterns for the arthritis and increasing the prascend....for now.
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos
Primary Responder

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

Hi Trisha,

I think your suggested plan is a good one.  Definitely start soaking the hay and increase Prascend (1 full tab? I'd be inclined to overtreat rather than undertreat, and she had a possible flareup last Oct, too, on 2mg).  At least temporarily, until you have her bloodwork results and can sort this out.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Trisha DePietro

correction her ACTH and insulin is from May 2021. sorry for my confusion, just want to head this off if possible. thanks.

--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos
Primary Responder

Trisha DePietro

Hi all. So, Dolly, whose case history is updated, I believe started brewing a subclinical laminitis. I'm not sure what to say is the trigger- except a seasonal rise issue? Her July ACTH was 15. and uncompensated IR at that time. Her feet are not hot, her pulses are not evident. But she gets relief from styrofoam pads duct taped to her feet. She is getting 2 Prascend. What is the recommendation for a potential laminitis during the seasonal rise?

I'm thinking a possible plan would be to retest her ACTH, insulin and glucose, cloud boots, soak hay ( 6.6 ESC and starch) and something for pain ie j herb or phytoquench? and increase her Prascend by a 1/2 tab?

Thanks.