Trouble addling minerals to feed-Dr. Kellon

Tina Bachmann

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

--
Tina Bachmann in VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tina%20and%20Griffin

Jennifer Green

My picky boy seems to like things better when I add fenugreek powder.  He’s kind of a little prince :)
--
J.Green
MA, USA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Not silly at all, Lynn.  Others have also had success with that.

If using powders, the quickest way is to mix the supplements with a blend of oil and water, syringe it all in the first day; next day put anywhere from 1/5 to 1/4 in the feed andf syringe the rest before feeding (taste is then already in their mouth). Gets the job done in 4 or 5 days usually.

Lynn

This may sound silly and unscientific, but in addition to slow introduction and use of CocoSoya, I also take a little bit of the powdered supps I use and sprinkle around the stall and rub a little on the walls around his feed bucket so he can get used to the smells. I think it all works because he is cleaning up pretty good at this point.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Kirsten is correct. These are the 60% amounts, rounded off:

Tri-Amino - don't change; leave it 1 scoop
Flax - 10 ounces
1 1/4 scoop Glycocemic EQ
1 1/3 scoop Poly Zinc
1 scoop Poly Copper

In addition to introducing slowly, CocoSoya always works for me.

Lorna Cane

Hi Tina,

I've found it best,when introducing new supplements,to add a pinch at a time. I do this for a couple of days and then increase by bits.
Tedious. But helps horse to adjust his taste buds.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Tina Bachmann

Received my Ucklele minerals this week  tried feeding them last night and Griffin would not touch it.  He has been eating 1lb of TC Timothy cubes with 1 tsp salt, 3/4 cup of flax and 1/2 cup of Beet pulp RSR and 1 tsp of Uckele vitamin E fine.  Basically he haas been on the Emergency diet.  Last night i added as you recommended,
1 scoop of Tri Amino
1 lb of ground flax
2 scoops glycocemicEQ
2 1/4 poly zinc
Poly copper on back order 1 2/3 scoops recommended
I added that to 1lb timothy cubed soaked with the beet pulp ,E and salt
t and he would not touch it
My question is do I introduce it slowly ?  Your recommended amounts were for 2olbs of hay and a 1000 lb horse.  Griffin weighs 720lbs and i feed him 12 lbs of hay.  I do not know how to properly figure out the right amounts. Kirsten suggested12lb divided by 20lbs x100% = 60% so reduce the recommended mineral amounts to 60%of the recommended amount  Can you help me with this please  Thanks so much.  P.s.I am going out of the country for 14 days so I am going to keep him on emergency diet until I return to make sure he is eating well while I am gone.