Desmosphyrine?

Sherry Morse

Rita here are a few signs that it's a lot of hooey - lots of mumbo jumbo language, no actual research to back it up, and extremely high priced 'miracle cure'.

Rita Chavez

Thank you, Nancy! I guess if there’s a buck to be made and a clever website/ad campaign then a few fish will be caught.
--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Rita Chavez

Hear that? It’s another one of these laminitis fluff ads going into my garbage can! Thanks!!

--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA
June 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Nancy C

Hi Rita

I will admit that his bandying about oxidative stress, a hydraulic system, and Desmosomal  bonds, has confounded me for the moment. The first thing that jumped out at me that I knew was an issue however, was matrix metalloproteinase

"First, all swelling involves oxidative stress. Secondly, it creates a hydraulic system. The oxidative stress activates the matrix metalloproteinase. This stress causes the breakdown of the Desmosomal bonds in the lamina if left untreated."

matrix metalloproteinase is a product of laminitis in cases other than metabolic (high insulin) laminitis.  MMP occurs in hind gut driven laminitis like feed room break-in, black walnut, systemic inflammation and lamintis via fructan bolus like that done in the early years by Pollitt.  The testimonial on their page is a case of feed room break in.  https://www.beatlaminitis.com/about

80-90 percent of laminitis cases are caused by metabolic issues, not hind-gut disruption.
____
Nancy C in NH

Recordings of the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference released to attendees 09.03.21.
Veterinary Professional CE certification hours submitted to AAVSB Race 09.08.21

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Total nonsense and a major ripoff at $600 for 24 days - or at any price for that matter. Matrix metalloproteinase is not activated in endocrinopathic/metabolic laminitis. Even if it was, spraying SOD on the feet is a total waste of time. There's no way it would get in. There is also no evidence that oxidative stress activates metalloproteinase.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21333362/

Rita Chavez

This website presented to me as a suggestion on FB today. Could one of our experienced EC/IR members comment on this novel product being offered as a treatment? I question everything these days.

Thank you!