Understanding MIRG

jlmccarroll@...

Hello All:

I recently had my suspect IR  8 yo Friesian cross gelding (non-fasting) tested after 30 days on an either soaked and rinsed sweet meadow grass or tested safe teff hay diet with balanced nutrients. He has lost a little weight and the vet re-evaluated him from a 6 to a 5+.  His blood values were good at:

Insulin  7.6 u/mL

Glucose 7.7 mg/dL

ACTH 3.3 pmol/L

Using the ECIR calculator, his results are:

G:I  10.3

RISQI 0.36

MIRG 5.5

I understand that the MIRG indicates the ability of his pancreas to respond to blood glucose; however, I am not able to find any written documentation on what an MIRG of 5.5 means.  BTW one month ago, he had a 4-day period where he was doing a lot of laying down and was a little short strided at liberty in the sand arena.  He had been on free feed through a trickle net on sweet meadow grass with a combined ESC+starch value of  11.5%.  I immediately began soaking/rinsing until I could get some safe tested teff hay and he seemed much more comfortable within days.

Can you help me understand the MIRG?

Thank you for all your help - you guys are the best!

--
Jeannette Mc, NorCal 2021

Sherry Morse

Where was the bloodwork done and what were the reference ranges?  The normal range for glucose is 71 - 122mg/dL if done at Cornell.  A glucose value such as you listed makes me think that the bloodwork wasn't handled properly which means that the other values are also not valid.

jlmccarroll@...

Hi Sherry

I assume the blood work was done at UC Davis.  I will be calling tomorrow for a copy of the lab's report.  The normal glucose range reported to me was 80-120 mg/dL, insulin normal range 4.5-20 mL and ACTH 1.0-9.0 pm/L.
--
Jeannette Mc, NorCal 2021

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I suspect that 7.7 is actually 77. A glucose that low wouldn't be reported in tenths.

jlmccarroll@...

Dr. K

You are correct...my error (old lady eyes).  Glucose was 77.  The blood work was performed in-house at the clinic, not at UC Davis.  Where can I find out what an MIRG of 5.5 indicates in relation to the other values?

Thank you,
--
Jeannette Mc, NorCal 2021

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

MIRG of 5.5 shows good/normal insulin response.