Story won't eat supplements

Shera Felde

Hi all,
My EMS mare is doing well as far as recovery from long laminitis bout (exercising and pain free). She still gets FWS on and off so I syringe Gut a few times a week. My dilemma is that she gets 2 cups of carrier with vit/min supp, Thyrol L, flax, Glycocemic EQ, & salt. She had more supp's in the mix but I have tried every combination of eliminating to see if she will eat any. I know Thyro L should not bounce in dosage but Story is not interested in any combination, even stripped down, and I'm concerned. Some days she'll eat half of the minimum mixture, but I can't count on it. She doesn't care for artificial sweeteners; my vet suggested some alfalfa pellets, but she doesn't really care about those either. She just wants her hay. I throw it all away most days since the other two horses shouldn't get the Thyro L.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Here are hay test results for newest load:

thank you!
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Hi Shera,

Please put the hay test results in your case history folder or photo album.  Why is Story on Thyro-L? As that is something she needs to eat or be weaned off of slowly you may want to consider feeding it separately from the other supplements and starting to wean her off of it.   Are you using beet pulp as a carrier or something else?  Will she eat the carrier by itself?

Hi Shera,

If she won’t eat the carrier separately, as Sherry suggests trying, it’s possible she has ulcers.  I notice she is on Equioxx in your case history?  Are you still giving her that?

If you make a paste of her necessary supplements, you can administer that by oral dosing syringe and then you will be certain she’s had them.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Jennifer Green

My chubby little food snob seems to eat most things when I put fenugreek powder in. It’s cheap to buy and safe for him to eat. Might be worth a try.
--
J.Green
MA, USA

Shera Felde

Thank you.

I haven't tried fenugreek powder; is there a certain vendor you like?
She will eat the carrier (Haystack low/low Special Blend pellets) by itself; she isn't on Equioxx or any other pain killer anymore. She had ulcers a few months ago and was treated. Is that a sign of ulcers in which case she may have them again? But she does love her hay...She's been on Thyro L for a long time. I know to change it slowly, but this new development of not wanting her morning mix has me stumped and worried about the variations in Thyro L that she is getting when eating some or none of the mixture. I don't actually think it helps her weight anyway. I can syringe it but, like the Gut product, she loses probably 30% when it drops out of her mouth, so not exact either.

I didn't know if anyone could see the obvious needs from the hay analysis. Since she wouldn't touch the copper and zinc supp's last fall, I went to a multi vit/min. Uckele Equi VM.
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Ronelle

Shera-  It's a herb used in cooking.  I'm going to Safeway today to see if they have it, if not, I'll go to the Spice Shop in the Old Mill.  I'm going to try it on a friend's PPID pony.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

Sue Ring

Hi Shera,

Have you tried APF??  An "adaptogen" which does not harm a horse that really is not in need of it but can do wonders for a horse that has gone off their feed a bit.  I had my horse go off of his feed (which was his "carrier" meal with all of his supplements).  He was eating his hay but not taking in any of his needed vitamins/minerals, etc.  I started him on APF and within a day or two, his appetite picked up and he is back to eating well.  Kind of expensive, but you can shop around...VERY helpful for those that have bouts of picky eating.  To get more info, you could search "APF" in the files and there is ALOT of very good information from Dr Kellon and members.  Good luck.......with these "special needs" horses, we don't need any grey hair over them not getting good nutrition!!
--
Sue R in NC 2021

CASE HISTORY:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Shifty

PHOTO FILES:

Shera Felde

Thank you, Sue. I ordered some APF. Hopefully I can get that into her! I read the files and am hopeful this may help with her lethargy too.

Yes, she keeps my gray hair blooming!
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Shera Felde

Thank you, Ronelle. I ordered some Stabul1 fenugreek so I'll see if she will eat that. A straight form of fenugreek may be a good option if she won't eat it. Jimminy!
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Kim Leitch

Shear, just so you know, fenugreek is the only flavor of Stabul 1 that my picky eater did not like. She loves banana and will tolerate peppermint.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Ronelle

I found it at Savory Spice.  5.99 a bottle. (typical spice/herb bottle).  I was curious just what was so "special" about the herb that horses liked, so I bought a bottle.   It was not ground so I ground some up.  It doesn't smell very good to me. I didn't taste it.  Could you let me know if the Stabul 1 stuff smells good or not?  Just curious.  I'll do a test run in a few days with the pony without his meds to see if he likes it.   If not, the bottle goes to my sister who is a gourmet cook and will know what to do with fenugreek.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

Shera Felde

Thanks! The Stabul1 arrived and she ate it (!)...day 1. It smells a little like maple syrup to me. Considering the alfalfa pellets didn't entice her much, this is a win so far. I wonder if the powder is available from bulk supplements?
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Michele Einarson

I get fenugreek on Amazon.  search for "Kasoori Methi" to get the herb used in Indian cooking.  Much cheaper than as a health supplement.  https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=kasoori+methi&rh=n%3A724714011&ref=nb_sb_noss
--
Michele & Mosey IR, Feb 2019
Reno, NV, USA

Jennifer Green

I get fenugreek powder from here https://www.herbalcom.com/

my boy also likes the Stabul 1 fenugreek pellets :)