Non weight bearing

dr.kellylear@...

Hello again,
For the past few days Saddie will not bear weight on her left front at all. She has digital pulses but they are not severe. I don’t know if she has an abscess or why she refuses to put any weight on her left front. She acts like her right front does not bother her at all.

with how thin her soles are is it a good idea to try to soak her foot or is it better to just leave it alone? She is in boots and deep bedding.

She seems very depressed. It breaks my heart!
--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

celestinefarm

Kelly, abscesses are difficult to watch the horse go through.
I would suggest, based on experience. that if you do anything, just apply a poultice on the foot. I personally like Numotizine, as it will soften without oversoftening and it seems to provide some comfort. Put it in on the bottom of the foot and the heel bulbs, wrap in a newborn disposable diaper and put the boot back on if she is more comfortable in it.
You might find Numotizine at Tractor Supply, or it is available from Big D's tack online or Amazon. Sore NO More Poultice works well too, it might be more available at a local tack store than Numotizine.

I would not soak a thin soled horse. Depending on where the abscess is located, it may take a week or more to break. You can apply Sore No More liniment to her leg, it might provide some pain relief or she will just feel a bit more pampered which can help her mood.

Can you let her move around outside at her own pace? Movement will help an abscess exit. Don't force her to move however.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kelly,

This sounds highly suspicious for an abscess. I wouldn't recommend soaking with her soles being as thin as they are as that will make them soft as well - not a good combination.

Better to use a Numotizine poultice, which can be effective in initiating drainage and is very useful because it will change color in areas that had drainage. Scrub the foot well then apply a layer of Numotize and cover with cotton gauze or a diaper.  Secure the cotton or diaper well then put inside a boot or wrap with duct tape or Gorilla tape. Leave on 1 to 2  days. https://www.bigdweb.com/product/code/294.do?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6KHNvrUDEU0PkpYDdE7N8moWo5i2eawvlG6XpSfhsMBWOuxClRsn9MaAmeyEALw_wcB

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

dr.kellylear@...

Thank you for the suggestions. I will go get some Numotize and that. She doesn’t want to make at all right now, spending about 95% of the time laying down and won’t bear any weight on the left front.

Do some abscesses not show up on X-rays? It’s just weird how she went from walking fairly well to not wanting to get up at all so quickly.

Kelly
--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

Lavinia Fiscaletti

This type of presentation is classic for an abscess, which do not always show up on rads. They can be far more painful than laminitis as well.