I really need some help

dr.kellylear@...

I’m very sorry if I have done something but I am so confused with everything going on with my mare. I took Dr. Kellon’s advice 3 weeks ago and took her to an internist. They ran respiratory panels, Lyme disease, liver biopsy, abdominocentesis, abdominal ultrasounds, iron tests. They have done numerous CBC and chemistries.

 She broke with diarrhea about 2.5 weeks ago and stopped eating. The only positive test we got back was for salmonella.  We have been supplementing  her with oral syringe feedings and passing nasogastric tube once a day using platinum performance enteral formula. We did this because her triglycerides got to 900 since she wasn’t eating.

In the last 3 days she has not run a fever and manure is starting to stay a steady cow pie. Here SAA was greater than 3000 for the last few weeks and her neutrophils were around 16,000 with a total leukocyte count of 18,000. Finally today her SAA is at 690 and her neutrophils are down to 15,000. Her lungs show a little bit of changes on ultrasound but the internist thinks it is because she is laying down all the time. She also has a AST of 590 and ALP of 567.

we also checked her insulin last week and she was 11.74 ulU/ml with a glucose of 128 mg/dl. Today her triglycerides are 483 mg/dl

she acts very depressed, won’t bear any weight on her left front, and still no interest in any food.

we are giving her:
-biosponge
-transfunation with a healthy horses manure
-full bucket probiotics
-1/2 bottle of 50% dextrose in fluids to help with triglycerides
-gentamicin 25 ml SID
-penicillin 25 ml BID
-pergolide 1 tab SID
-laminox

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help my poor girl. I am trying my best to help her and I few like I am not getting much improvement. I really want to save her.
--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

Kelly,

Her issues aren't related to endocrine/metabolic disease. She has had white counts suggestive of infection from the beginning. I don't know if Salmonella has been her problem all along but it certainly is now. Her veterinarians are doing all the right things diagnostically and therapeutically. You are making some progress so hang in there.

dr.kellylear@...

Dr. Kellon,
Thank you very much for responding to me! I really appreciate it! She is so depressed acting now, kind of like she is giving up. If there is anything you think we should add to stimulate her appetite or increase her spirits, please let me know.
thank you again for your help!

Kelly

--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

I think you have to appreciate the fight/stress she's been through. If she was a human, she's be flat out in bed!  When the infection is controlled the systemic inflammation will ease and she'll start to feel better. In the meantime, good supportive therapy like they are doing will help her along.  One thing that might benefit her is APF, 8 mL/day.

dr.kellylear@...

Okay, I will add the APF. Thank you again for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Kelly